Koi pond chemicals

Reaction score
Can more than one koi pond chemical be added safely at the same time ( Smartpond water clarifier & Hp down ) I am new to koi fish, and how to keep my fish healthy. Need all the help I can get

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619371496008.gif
and welcome @LinJoy
I never use chemicals in my pond. Sometimes using them can end up causing more damage then just making sure the water stays correctly balanced using natural choices. It's up to you but just beware we have seen instances from people using chems and that can be when things go really bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ditto; never used chems ever in 10 years now. Everything natural in a balanced system. Lowering or raising the pH generally is more problematic than not. Fish can acclimate and once they do (slowly, if you're introducing and the differential can't be that great), keep it stable. pH crashes do a lot of harm. Using the clariier (I'm assuming a UV light, here) is a bandaid; learn how to curtail alage growth naturally and you'll not ever need such gear (or chems).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Same here.
I never use chemicals.
Too many horror stories posted here about fish dying after adding "fish safe" chemicals.

You'll find that one of the most important things about keeping a pond is patience. Give it time, nature will run it's course as long as all the pieces of the puzzle are present.

You also don't want any sudden changes in parameters that may shock the fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@LinJoy Hello and welcome!

What kind of “chemicals” are you talking about? As others have stated....chemicals should not be needed unless you are combatting ammonia.

Ask a Question