koi pond design ideas

Reaction score
ok, i have a back yard with nothing in it. Decided i would like to put in a koi pond, what is a good design for a koi pond. ground is flat. Do they require a bottom drain.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You can start by looking at our Gallery, Photo Section and other threads that are devoted to pond members here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mattgorham said:
ok, i have a back yard with nothing in it. Decided i would like to put in a koi pond, what is a good design for a koi pond. ground is flat. Do they require a bottom drain.

Read the construction thread and the diy thread there is a lot of information. With koi you need good filtration, water flow, lots of water, a bottom drain is good, even if just a retrofit bottom drain. (from what i have read here on the forum for koi)

I have just goldies.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I had a koi pond with a bottom much like a bathroom sink. The bottom drain surfaced outside the pond and about six inches below the pond water level. A friction fit cap on the 4" pipe was enough to hold the water back.

To clean the pond I just wiggled the cap off and let it flow. It worked amazingly well and the crude never entered the filters. To prevent it from sucking up the koi I opened it during feeding time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HTH said:
I had a koi pond with a bottom much like a bathroom sink. The bottom drain surfaced outside the pond and about six inches below the pond water level. A friction fit cap on the 4" pipe was enough to hold the water back.

To clean the pond I just wiggled the cap off and let it flow. It worked amazingly well and the crude never entered the filters. To prevent it from sucking up the koi I opened it during feeding time.

Really neat idea!

Reaction score
HTH said:

when you opened this drain, did you filter the water back into your pond or just let it run off.

regards

Matt

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I am trying to guess about how much water was released. The pond was a few thousand gallons and I drained maybe 10 or 20 gallons depending on how dirty it was. Best to use it on plants.

How fast it builds up depends on the fish load. So numbers do not mean much. I tried to drain mine every week or two. If you let it go too long it still works but what comes out looks like sewage. In that case you do not want to release the gasses back into the water anyway.

It was rather fun to watch. Must be the kid in me.

Ask a Question