Koi pond downgraded to plant pond- algae!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am using the pond we removed the koi from and lowered sides to grow lilies, lotus, etc. Right now water is 18" with 24 lilies. The lilies are not really growing yet as they were cut back prior to repotting. Everything is getting a green cloud over it. I was going to start up the bog- till I found out the stock tank bog has numerous leaks. Any ideas on controlling the algae? I'm afraid it will get so thick that the lilies will die off. No fish in this pond so using chemicals could be an option. I am running a fines filter and is doing some good but not enough.
002.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You know the answer...more plants of course!
I don't think you have a solids problem. I don't think it's a lack of filtration.
You just need something to compete with that algae.
Put some other plants in there, not just lillies.
Marginals
Maybe add oxygenators, hornwort, etc.
Also floating plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would not worry about it, I have a lily growing in a small steam pond, full of parrots feather, some algae, anacharis, the lily can't even be seen, it grows just fine. In fact it is one of the few with leaves to the surface already.

Love all the soon to be growing lilies, that will be beautiful!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got a shipment of azolla and I have some duck weed. Going to pot up some of my variegated celery and see if I can find some watercress.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had a mystery! I had move several pots of lilies out to be repotted. Got tired so threw them in the holding area below the bog. Finally got to them and there's a small koi in there! That area was pumped dry last fall and this spring! No way it came from the pond and pretty sure it didn't come up thru the bog gravel.
Finally figured out where it came from. We moved all lilies to the plant pond last fall. Some had algae over the plastic netting over the pots. Obviously this guy was hiding out and spent the winter in the new lily pond. When I tossed the pots into the holding area, he got out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think using Azolla and Lemna (duckweed) will work well. I use it in my water garden and have not had algae take over. The areas of open water looks attractively dark because the pond is mostly shaded by the Azolla and Lemna. My other floating and emergent plants emerge through the Azolla and Lemna without any trouble.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd have warned against using any chems just because there's no fish because whatever you use for the algae probably will affect the lilies and lotus, too. I had some azolla once, tried to keep it alive over winter and lost it all. I may just have to try that again...! Good luck with the algae and azolla!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love the idea of your lily pond! I'm with @addy1 - I don't think there's enough algae in the world to stop a waterlily from doing it's thing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could use some hydrogen peroxide, I have in the way past, different pond, never bothered the lilies. Kills the algae. I used 1 liter per 1000 gallons, maybe start with less to begin with.

Ask a Question