Koi Pond filtration setup, with image

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I am going to build my first Koi Pond. After doing some research, I think I found a good way of doing this (illustrated with the image attached to this post).

Is this a good setup?

Also, how do people cover up a big filter, when burried in the ground?

Thanks in advance,
Wooptido

Attachments

• Pond filtration setup.png
    Pond filtration setup.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 450

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice schematic, but I can't say if it's a good set-up or not -- sorry! But someone with a better knowledge of setting up a pond with external filtration and all those systems is sure to respond. Mainly I wanted to comment on your question regarding "burrying the filter." I think what they do is build a "pit" and/or have all of that equipment housed in a separate little building. I've seen decorative covers (for skimmers?) that are made to look like stone..... I wish I knew more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I can't tell from the drawing, the exact location of your bottom drain. I don't have one, but have read they should be centered, to get the best effect.

Filter pits can house equipment. I've seen very nice structures built, to resemble a pergola etc, to hide equipment. I've also seen sand and gravel filters, camouflaged with willow fencing.

You might want to check out koiphen.com, as it's a dedicated koi site and they have lots of build threads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Wooden flat cover shud appeare like a table? And have some plant pots on it ,have some stones bushes around or u can make elevated like dog house

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
The covering up of the filter is clear to me now, I will have to build a wooden object with a "roof", on which I can put stones, or plants, or ...

Also, I would place the filter a little below water level, would this be a correct setup?

About the bottom drain: I first planned to center it, and to add the pipe of the skimmer to the pipe of the bottom drain. This way, the water from the skimmer would also go to the filter.

My new plan is to just pump the water from the skimmer back into the pond immediately (without passing the filter). If I do this at the bottom of the pond, the water will flow towards the bottom drain. Isn't this a good idea?
=> Also, I would create a slight slope at the bottom, towards the drain, to increase its effectiveness.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
As with everything, the devil is in the details.
What sort of filter do you plan for the red filter? The most ideal system is to run the bottom drain to a sieve or large settling tanks, then to mechanical filter, then a biological filter, then back to the pond.
If the bottom drain is in the center of the pond the return lines from the skimmer should be angled at a tangent towards the bottom drain to setup a sort of vortex in the pond.
And generally all the filters and pumps are housed inside an open "filter pit", although the really smart people also build insulated walls and a roof over the pit and call it a pump/filter room. ;)

Ask a Question