Koi pond liner leak.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! Hope you experts can help me :)

So one night my pond liner slipped and a bunch of water got under the liner. However I just stuck my extra pump and sucked all of the water from underneath it. Or I think I did. Now the water level is dropping an inch every few hours and the milk trick doesn't work. I am still draining it down however more water just appears on the sides of the liner. What do I do? The setup in the photo is temporary

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think we need a little more information. Do you have some pictures you can post? And a better description of how your ponds are set up, including how many gallons. And when you say the liner slipped.....is it anchored; above ground.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think we need a little more information. Do you have some pictures you can post? And a better description of how your ponds are set up, including how many gallons. And when you say the liner slipped.....is it anchored; above ground.....

Water gets pumped from the lower pond into filters into the top pond which flows back into the Lower pond. The whole system is about a total of 1500 gallons. Pond liner is not anchored by anything. Basically the water overflowed on the top pond but over the side of the liner and got under the liner of the bottom pond. I thought I got it all out but more keeps on coming. It is two pieces of liner. The liner for the above pond comes over the liner of the bottom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 237

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Did you check the lower pond's liner under the waterfall where the two liners overlap?

Did you drain the lower pond to in order to get the pump under the lower pond liner?

Is that EPDM liner?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you check the lower pond's liner under the waterfall where the two liners overlap?
Yes. It is losing water even with the waterfall off and water level far lower than the waterfall also. It is pvc liner. The water pooled up on the sides of the liner so I did not have to drain it. I wish I spent the extra money on the better liner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
let it drain/leak out when the water stops leaking out you will have a better ideal where the leak is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
It's also possible that when you overlap two liners but didn't seal then they pull water up between then through capillary action. The water could have pooled under the liner until the liner slipped from the edge. PVC gets hard and brittle after a while and easily could have cracked when it slipped

Ask a Question