KOI POND NEW CONSTRUCTION

Reaction score
DEAR SIRS

GOOD DAY TO YOU AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONS for your site

I WANT TO BUILD A KOI POND with liner

THE SAPE IS ALMOST CIRCLE

THE DIAMETER IS 27 meter OR 88 feet

if the correct depth is should be 6 feet the total size of the pond should be 18091,92 gallons OR 68481 liter

I pressume above calculation is correct (if not please tell me in order to avoid wrong filter, pump purchase)

I want to ask you below:

1) What kind of filter needed (i prefer multi-chambered filter) (i search on the Internet and many says that total filter volume should be max 30% of koi pond ttl volume so the filter ttl volume must have capacity 6000 gallons I NEED YOUR CORRECT FILTER SUGGESTIONS or DIY suggestions

2) What kind of pump needed (how many GPH in order to be clean the above koi pond) ?????

3) How many skimmers do i need according to above koi pond volume ????

4) How many drains do i need ???? i read somewhere that 1 drain every 12 feet diameter of koi pond bottom area (lowest level)

5) Also i want to put water lilies and i want to know what the minimum depth for those plants (i pressume 2 maybe 3 feet deeper)

6) I want to know how durable is the liner, they mention that has guarantee 25 years. Is it true??? CAN I TAKE THE RISK ?? or shall i use concrete ???

I need also complete diagram of instalation ex. drain to pump, pump to filter and finally water back to koi pond through a waterfall (IF IS THE CORRECT LINE)

Thank you for your time

Your's sincerely

Theodore Papadopoulos

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and that is going to be some sized pond you are building .I only have a small pond and some of the people with larger ponds can tell you some of the info .But you will need a good sized pump and filter

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomepups.gif
Theodore
Yep that's a huge pond you will have there. Mine is only 2500 gallons. More will come to help you soon when they get through digesting all the food they ate over the holidays :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
turkey overload or is that from the christmas cheer :0000000057: :beer: :beerchug:

Reaction score
welcome and that is going to be some sized pond you are building .I only have a small pond and some of the people with larger ponds can tell you some of the info .But you will need a good sized pump and filter

Dear friends, thank you for your quick reply. Yes it's going to be big. Nice photos you have below

Theo

Reaction score
welcomepups.gif
Theodore
Yep that's a huge pond you will have there. Mine is only 2500 gallons. More will come to help you soon when they get through digesting all the food they ate over the holidays :razz:

Thank you for the welcoming. You have a very nice pond looks very natural. You must be very lucky. Everybody of us are during Xmas time are in the same condition. lol

Reaction score
DEAR SIRS

GOOD DAY TO YOU AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONS for your site

I WANT TO BUILD A KOI POND with liner

THE SAPE IS ALMOST CIRCLE

THE DIAMETER IS 27 meter OR 88 feet

if the correct depth is should be 6 feet the total size of the pond should be 18091,92 gallons OR 68481 liter

I pressume above calculation is correct (if not please tell me in order to avoid wrong filter, pump purchase)

I want to ask you below:

1) What kind of filter needed (i prefer multi-chambered filter) (i search on the Internet and many says that total filter volume should be max 30% of koi pond ttl volume so the filter ttl volume must have capacity 6000 gallons I NEED YOUR CORRECT FILTER SUGGESTIONS or DIY suggestions

2) What kind of pump needed (how many GPH in order to be clean the above koi pond) ?????

3) How many skimmers do i need according to above koi pond volume ????

4) How many drains do i need ???? i read somewhere that 1 drain every 12 feet diameter of koi pond bottom area (lowest level)

5) Also i want to put water lilies and i want to know what the minimum depth for those plants (i pressume 2 maybe 3 feet deeper)

6) I want to know how durable is the liner, they mention that has guarantee 25 years. Is it true??? CAN I TAKE THE RISK ?? or shall i use concrete ???

I need also complete diagram of instalation ex. drain to pump, pump to filter and finally water back to koi pond through a waterfall (IF IS THE CORRECT LINE)

Thank you for your time

Your's sincerely

Theodore Papadopoulos

I want to clarify something. Above calculation is based on below article LABEL

http://www.koicarp.net/beginners_corner/pond_volumes.html

Is about 8 meter or 25 feet long and width is about 6 - 7 meter or 21 feet
The depth should be 5 - 6 feet

The 27 meter or 88 feet is NOT diameter but the ttl measure string

I have based on above link calculation

Based on above the ttl volume is correct

Thank you

Theo

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Hi Theo,

Thanks for the knighthood.....[ dear sirs ] :LOL:

no need for that on here all friendly and we dont bite

A big welcome from uk to you.

whiskey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, Theodore! I think you are the first I've seen from Greece! Your pond is going to be really nice, can't wait for your "dig" to begin, and pics to begin flowing in. Do you know when you will begin digging? Of course, you're doing your homework first, learning what you will need ahead of time, etc. which is the best way to go! I dug my first pond last year (2011) in March, and learned everything I know ... and I mean EVERYTHING haha ... from this Forum! People here are wonderful, very helpful, always have pictures of what they are talking about, which helps immensely.
There are lots of pond digs from beginning to ... now ... on here. My pond is about 19'x9'x4'D plus bog, and second pond dug this past spring is about 17'x7'x3'D plus 3'W bog all along the back side. That is my sole filtration system on that pond. Check out Addy's Bog Build if you're interested in a bog. She can easily direct you to the thread. My koi pond (larger pond, smaller bog) has a Skippy Filter (see DIY threads on Skippy and other do it yourself filters) and small bog for filtration. Both ponds have skimmers, which I highly recommend. I have one skimmer on each of my ponds, and highly recommend at least one on your pond. Place it where the winds will most often blow floating stuff towards it, if possible. If you don't have much wind, then you can place it on the opposite end from other moving water, like a waterfall or stream inlet, etc. The water will move towards the skimmer. I would think one large skimmer would be sufficient.
About lilies, it seems they can do well on as little as 12" shelf (top of pot is about 8" down) all the way down to the bottom of most ponds, 4', and others will have to chime in if they will grow at 6' depth. If you have critters that may try to come "fishing" in your pond (i.e. raccoons, herons, etc.) be sure to not have easy access to the pond and fish. Make the sides go straight down (raccoons love to "fish" from the edge or from a shelf, and herons love to stand in shallow water up to about 2' or maybe deeper to do their fishing) so it is less accessible for the predators.
I think most on here have used the EPDM liner and the only time you are going to have problems with it is if you have something sharp against it, or something sharp GETS against it, like a turtle trying to burrow in the gravel of a bog or a dog falls into the pond and trying to get out claws the liner on the edge. Otherwise, you will really love the liner. Concrete is great, too, but most have the flexible liner. Others will have to give the pros and cons on concrete vs. EPDM liner.
As far as pumps, others will have to chime in, and also the type of filtration recommended. You are planning to have koi, but let us know what your plans are for those koi. Just a few, or are you going to have many, do you plan to raise and sell babies? Of course, having just a few will eventually become many, as they will breed. Your size pond will allow them to grow very well!
Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember rubber roofing can be used in pond also as liner .I know Greece has lots of flat roofs .

Reaction score
Hi Theo,

whiskey
Hi Theo,

whiskey

Dear friend Whiskey

Sorry for the formal typing

All of you are very helpfull

Theo

Reaction score
Welcome, Theodore! I think you are the first I've seen from Greece! Your pond is going to be really nice, can't wait for your "dig" to begin, and pics to begin flowing in. Do you know when you will begin digging? Of course, you're doing your homework first, learning what you will need ahead of time, etc. which is the best way to go! I dug my first pond last year (2011) in March, and learned everything I know ... and I mean EVERYTHING haha ... from this Forum! People here are wonderful, very helpful, always have pictures of what they are talking about, which helps immensely.
There are lots of pond digs from beginning to ... now ... on here. My pond is about 19'x9'x4'D plus bog, and second pond dug this past spring is about 17'x7'x3'D plus 3'W bog all along the back side. That is my sole filtration system on that pond. Check out Addy's Bog Build if you're interested in a bog. She can easily direct you to the thread. My koi pond (larger pond, smaller bog) has a Skippy Filter (see DIY threads on Skippy and other do it yourself filters) and small bog for filtration. Both ponds have skimmers, which I highly recommend. I have one skimmer on each of my ponds, and highly recommend at least one on your pond. Place it where the winds will most often blow floating stuff towards it, if possible. If you don't have much wind, then you can place it on the opposite end from other moving water, like a waterfall or stream inlet, etc. The water will move towards the skimmer. I would think one large skimmer would be sufficient.
About lilies, it seems they can do well on as little as 12" shelf (top of pot is about 8" down) all the way down to the bottom of most ponds, 4', and others will have to chime in if they will grow at 6' depth. If you have critters that may try to come "fishing" in your pond (i.e. raccoons, herons, etc.) be sure to not have easy access to the pond and fish. Make the sides go straight down (raccoons love to "fish" from the edge or from a shelf, and herons love to stand in shallow water up to about 2' or maybe deeper to do their fishing) so it is less accessible for the predators.
I think most on here have used the EPDM liner and the only time you are going to have problems with it is if you have something sharp against it, or something sharp GETS against it, like a turtle trying to burrow in the gravel of a bog or a dog falls into the pond and trying to get out claws the liner on the edge. Otherwise, you will really love the liner. Concrete is great, too, but most have the flexible liner. Others will have to give the pros and cons on concrete vs. EPDM liner.
As far as pumps, others will have to chime in, and also the type of filtration recommended. You are planning to have koi, but let us know what your plans are for those koi. Just a few, or are you going to have many, do you plan to raise and sell babies? Of course, having just a few will eventually become many, as they will breed. Your size pond will allow them to grow very well!
Good luck!

Dear friend from Illinois
Propably i will start it during Spring (via contractor NOT alone)
What to you meen for filter ???? trash can ?????
I pressume your filter is multi-chambered ( 2 - 3 bogs connected)
No wind at all propably i will use EPDM lines because concrete is expensive

Thank you for the support

Theo

Reaction score
Good luck!

Dear friend from Illinois
Sorry i havent reply to all your message

Since not much wind i will put 1 skimmer as you said oposite the waterfall
I want to combine koi & water lilies beside the fact that many people said that koi like to search the lillies roots
Concerning koi number i want to put many (above 10) and NOT to use them for selling small koi (after)
I havent found Addy's link

If it's possible to send me

Thank you

Theo

Reaction score
Good luck!

Dear friend from Ilinois, Whiskey & others

I have search through Amazon uk for a EPDM liners and notice huge price diferences between EPDM pond liner (guarantee life time) and pond liner (guarantee 25 yrs to 40 yrs)

What do you propose ?????

The price is very very high especialy for my future pond dimensions 9 x 7 x 5 d meter pond

Thank you again

Theo

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
Theo

Try ebay for liner and many bargines

Read as many threads on pond constuction and take on board the design/style you would like, type of filter, gravity or pump feed. draw a scaled map making sure everything fits, get prices on pumps,bottom drain,filters and media......this will play a big part in your choice regarding filters.

It took me some four months to plan mine and im still making changes as i build, even on the last stages im still changing sieve design, mainly due`to draw/flow, i want maximum water through my 4" pipe, so i`ve got all drawn water, being sieved before it goes to filters .....hence less cleaning.........little things ...yes.....but rewarding in cleaning time and more time looking at fish or enjoying sitting by the pond.

whiskey

Ask a Question