Koi pond - new learning

Reaction score
Hello to all Koi parents.

My husband, Frank and I have been working with our pond since 2008. As new Koi parents, we are still learning and running over to Jefferson Feed on Jefferson Hwy in Haraha, LA (with the help from Louis, Hillary and Timmy). These people have been so very helpful. Our pond is approximately 16 feet in diameter and approximate 2 1/2 - 3 feet at its deepest. We have river rock around the perimeter in pond and sand stone around the top. Water fall flowing over one section and a small walk out plank (this really helps get to the middle). It was initialy built for relaxation and peace of mind for mind self. Frank came up the engineering part and I followed. Through the years this project has been an on-going project. Had at one time 24 Koi, then lost 18 to birds. We now have netting over the pond so our "aqua kids" don't get kidnapped. Right now, we have 18 beautiful koi and I suppose we have a male & female because we saw at least 5, but just this afternoon 1 of our 'grandkoi' was found floating.

We are from the Westbank out of Marrero, and have been off and on looking to see if we have any koi pond groups available that meet so that maybe we can learn much more about our "koi family"

Hope to hear from y'all soon. Have a great evening and a beautiful morning.

Agnes & Frank LeBlanc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey Areed57 and welcome to the group!! I am new here too, but always good to see others close by around here. There is lots to learn here and I would love to see pics of your pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! We have numerous members from LA, and lucky for you, about 99% of them live in SOUTH Louisiana! The other 1% lives in North LA.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome but how big is your pond because that seems like a lot of fish .I saw you said 16 ft but is that round feet .

Reaction score
welcome and meeting up with fellow ponders is a wonderful benefit of being a part of this forum and having others relatively close by

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome, and you have one of the best on this forum in your state, and a Moderator to boot! I would guess that 3' at the deepest might get pretty hot there in the summer. Do you have plants covering the surface in the hottest part of the year? Can you take pics of your pond and any plants you have in it, or let us know what you have in the pond besides koi. We all love pictures. :blueflower:

Ask a Question