Koi Pond Rebuild

Reaction score
Country
United States
hello,

We bought our home about 20 years ago and there is a Koi pond on the land. For the last 15 years, we have been having issues with the pond. At first, it started with having fish disappear. About 10 years ago, we began to have issues with the pond leaking and keeping a good level of water. Now, i am looking to rebuild the pond myself. I have taken all of the liner out of the pond. I am trying to figure out if I want to make it a Koi pond again or just make it a goldfish pond. I need advice on a liner as well as filtration and different products that I would need. The pond is about 3 feet deep about 10’ x 8’ wide. The photos posted are prior to me taking the liner out and cleaning around it.

Attachments

• 962250C6-DD50-4B0F-AFCA-9BBE51FC7939.jpeg
    962250C6-DD50-4B0F-AFCA-9BBE51FC7939.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 17
  • 66E673C2-C4E0-43EF-91C2-AC5BA721BFC7.jpeg
    66E673C2-C4E0-43EF-91C2-AC5BA721BFC7.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 18

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674069871340.gif
@leviohanenye
I would do goldfish in a pond that size. How big are you wanting the new pond to be? Koi need super large ponds to thrive. Goldfish way less and they are not as costly as koi. shubunkins are a really nice form of goldfish. We can help you along w/building your new pond. Seeings how you lost fish prolly due to predators, maybe the Great Blue Heron? Many other critters tho also could have gotten in there. You will need to protect the new fish from them. Some here have had to use nets to save the fish. Let us know your goals and what you want your pond to look like. Lots of ideas will be offered and you can pick out what you like. You will want it in a spot where you will be able to view it conveniently and enjoy that spot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking that goldfish would be fine! My main concerns now are about my liner and rainwater. It rains often here in Ga, and I don’t Want the rain water to flood the pond out, and lead to water getting under the liner and causing issues. How should I go About combatting this? Also, we have put a new liner in here twice and everytime, the liner ends up leaking. Any tips on how to ensure the pond stays water tight? Around the pond is cinder block, and the bottom is just dirt. (ga red clay). Looking forward to all of you guys’ input and help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Under layment in the way of Non woven needle punch fabric , geo textile or old carpeting as a dyi. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING BUT CLAY AND NO ROCKS STICKS or other sharp objects than you can go with a thinner fabric like 5 oz . thats the typical weed barrier for landscaping. But before that's done considering your familiar with water under the liner. then i would definitely add a drain under the liner. but all your doing is collecting the water into a pipe , where you just have an open pipe leading to the surface of the grade. water takes the path of least resistance. This can be done with any solid pipe. They also do sell such items underwater warehouse is a site I recommend.
In looking at the old pond i would also learn how to create a shelf below your typical evaporation level . this will hide the liner and make the pond looking more natural.

i did a large how to in the showcase noted below this text it will give you ideas and how too's

I also vote for gold fish or others over koi in a smaller pond

Ask a Question