Koi Pond Reccomemdations?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I currently own a small 40 gallon deck pond stocked with approximately 30 rosy red minnows and 5 small goldfish. I am looking to both expand their home and get a/some koi (I absolutely adore the fish like many of you!). I currently have this pump/fountain/filter:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002564VM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I‘ve been reading about how many gallons I can filter with that pump and how many fish I can have, but many websites seem contradictory. Although I’ve somewhat come to a small conclusion on what my pump/filter can handle, I wanted to seek another enthusiast’s opinion.

Summary of what I have:
1) I pump/filter/fountain (linked above)
2) 30 rosy red minnows
3) 5 small goldfish

What I want:
1 or more koi

Questions:
1) How big (measured in gallons) can my pond be with that pump/filter/fountain?
2) On top of my fish, how many koi can I have with your recommended pond size?
3) Where do you recommend buying koi from?

Disclaimer:
1) I am ok with weekly to biweekly maintenance.
2) I am not looking to overstock the pond with koi fish and then see them grow and have to give some away. I would like a healthy amount from the start.
3) I plan to build a big 1000 gallon pond within the next year or two, but that’s not 100% concrete.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

For Koi build as big as you can. One koi needs 1000 gallons, if you have goldfish with your koi they will cross breed and pretty quickly overwhelm your pond with fish load. If you really want koi go for around 3000 or bigger pond and get 3 koi. They need the water room, they need great filtration, they get HUGE! Others will chime in also.

I have a big enough pond but only have shubunkins. No desire to have koi.

That pump will not work for a koi pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello! I agree with Addy. I have been raising koi for 20+ years and currently have 2 ponds totalling around 10000 gallons. Koi grow fast and get big- 2-3' so they need the pond space and great filtration.
The pump you posted is fine for what you have, for a koi pond, no way. Water turnover needs to be 1 1/2- 2 times per hour so with a 1000 gallon pond, 1500-2000 gph. As the pump info states, up to 200 gallons pond size. Not a fan of the in-pond filters, hard to clean and not really designed for fish ponds. You can build a diy filter or go with bog filtration.
Koi are great fish but with a smaller pond check out Addys shubunkins, colorful, smaller versions callled poor mans koi.
Don't be discouraged- ponds are great and you've come to the right place for info. Do LOTS of reading here and learn everything you can. Lots of people here ready to help out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
callled poor mans koi.
In other words very pretty fish you don't need to fuss over.
20160912_122713.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I can’t add to what’s already been said, except to emphasize the size of a pond needed to accommodate koi (as well as the amount of filtration you will need). Yes, there are people who successfully keep koi in smaller ponds, but they are experienced koi keepers and have filtration out the wazoo! For more information, and to help you in your decision making process, there is another site called KOIPHEN.com.

No, that filter won’t work for a koi pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I can’t add to what’s already been said, except to emphasize the size of a pond needed to accommodate koi (as well as the amount of filtration you will need). Yes, there are people who successfully keep koi in smaller ponds, but they are experienced koi keepers and have filtration out the wazoo! For more information, and to help you in your decision making process, there is another site called KOIPHEN.com.

No, that filter won’t work for a koi pond.

What else can I add for filtration that's (hopefully) under $50?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I agree with Addy. I have been raising koi for 20+ years and currently have 2 ponds totalling around 10000 gallons. Koi grow fast and get big- 2-3' so they need the pond space and great filtration.
The pump you posted is fine for what you have, for a koi pond, no way. Water turnover needs to be 1 1/2- 2 times per hour so with a 1000 gallon pond, 1500-2000 gph. As the pump info states, up to 200 gallons pond size. Not a fan of the in-pond filters, hard to clean and not really designed for fish ponds. You can build a diy filter or go with bog filtration.
Koi are great fish but with a smaller pond check out Addys shubunkins, colorful, smaller versions callled poor mans koi.
Don't be discouraged- ponds are great and you've come to the right place for info. Do LOTS of reading here and learn everything you can. Lots of people here ready to help out.
How can I build a DIY filter? Where can I buy a bog from? If you have them handy, I'd appreciate some links.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@fishenthusiast My goodness, you are bursting with questions — that’s a good thing.

Here is the link to @addy1’s bog construction build. There are others on here who have bogs, as well. You can’t “buy” a bog, you have to build one, but there are different methods. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

A quick question for you — do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, that would be the perfect starting point for you. Even if you may have had aquariums in the past, the nitrogen cycle is the foundation of any pond, and understanding how it works will help you understand about pumps, filters, the size of a pond, and the number of fish you can keep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I agree that you should check out shubunkin. They are really nice fish. Colorful, have long flowing fins and don't get anywhere near the size of koi, plus there would be less fish waste. Koi produce a lot of waste products which requires mega filtration. If I were to do it all over, I would choose shubunkin. I have koi, shubunkin and varies other goldfish.

Keep in mind, as others have noted, your fish will definately multiply and your pond will surely become overpopulated. I can tell you that from experience. I've had many offspring. Many goldfish and even cross breeds between koi/goldfish and shubunkin/goldfish.

You can have a bog attached to your pond which I think is the best way to filter. Zero maintenance and great filtering.

Here's a link to my add on bog build:

Ask a Question