Koi pond size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am building a raised pond that wraps around my house. Reason for the wrap around is that I want to look at the pond from both sides of the garden but also we live next to a busy road so will also have a waterfall on both sides to drown out some of the noise.
My question is my pond is 4.2 feet wide just under 4ft deep and 29 feet long. Is it wide enough for some koi and how many do you recommend I keep in this size pond.
My filter is a Oase biotech premium 80000
Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Andy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That may be a big liner and koi do get over 2 ft long in just a couple of years .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg image.jpeg Here is the build so far.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have to ask is there drainage around the back of that so water will not drain back into the house

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I am building a raised pond that wraps around my house. Reason for the wrap around is that I want to look at the pond from both sides of the garden but also we live next to a busy road so will also have a waterfall on both sides to drown out some of the noise.
My question is my pond is 4.2 feet wide just under 4ft deep and 29 feet long. Is it wide enough for some koi and how many do you recommend I keep in this size pond.
My filter is a Oase biotech premium 80000
Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Andy

You have more than sufficient filtration, but what is your projected flow rate in gph or lph?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering more about behind the pond as between the house and pond during heavy rains .All that water coming off the roof .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering more about behind the pond as between the house and pond during heavy rains .All that water coming off the roof .
Yes fully guttered behind the wall. I installed that first ,the roof only drains onto one side of the pond which has good guttering and takes all the water. We have to have good guttering in England as it always rains here!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was wondering and I guess that it's wide enough for koi but how many fish should I keep in it as I don't want to over stock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to keep Koi I would recommend twice that flow rate 25,000 lph.
As to number of Koi....10 - 15 12" Koi can be easily supported with your filtration and the increased flow rate.
Hi. Thanks for the advice. The filter has an option of running two pumps to it in one go. One through the uv and the other into the filter itself through another opening this would push 25'000 lph as one pump is 15k and the other is 10k. Would this be the way to go?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It matters not the number of pumps used as long as the desired flow rate is achieved. Question here is your UV rated for that high of a flow rate?
Are you plumbing this with a bottom drain and/or skimmer?

Ask a Question