Koi pond turning black. Help!

Reaction score
Hello everyone.... I have a Koi pond that is about 700 gallons. The water was turning all green, so I bought a UV filter. It turned the pond amazingly clear for about a week. Then I bought some lilies and put them in and that day the pond started to turn the floor and walls black. Is this ok? I dont know if the lily has any connection to the changing of color but what do I do to stop this. Should I put barley straw into the pond? If anyone knows how to handle this situation, I am in need of your suggestions. Thanks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pics? The lily could have possibly introduced a fungus or rarer type of algae. I've never seen black algae but I do know they exist in swimming pools so I would guess they could get in a pond as well. I would positively get the water checked and post the results. Barely straw,I feel like would be a waste of money, I doubt it will do anything for black algae if that's what it is.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can you at least get to a petstore that could check the basics? It's really one of the first things that need to be done in order to start trying to figure out what is going on.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
always always repot plants and clean the plants and inspect them well .I call it ice time .Isolate, clean and then they enter the pond .I always wait 2 weeks before they get to go in my pond .

Reaction score
The black is on the floor and sides of the pond right? The water is still clear?

Touch the black stuff and describe it in detail. Slimy? Thick or thin coating? And smell?

Resist the urge to add things like barley and bacteria. They can make things much worst.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would pull the lilies out also because they are probably in plant old dirt and that stuff in your pond is dirt or they could had aphids on them also .Find something that will hold water and put lilies in it after you clean the roots and everything off really good .You can put your lilies in bare root they will not mind .

Reaction score
I got the same thing happening and the weird black algae killed everything !

If it is that black algae you really need to move fast.

Make sure it is not developing on the fish as well (I was away for 2 weeks when it started and I came back noticed all was black... all fish dead and one agonizing who died eventually even when i treated... it was too late... :( ) The fish all had that black algae around their mouth body and head making it hard to breathe.

Take a sample quickly to a store, identify the culprit and treat fast.

I really hope for you it's one of the other things mentioned here.

Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone for the help. I think its all starting to make sense. Well to start off... the black sludge is just on the walls and floor just like Waterbug suspected. Ill post a picture later today... It feels just slimy like regualr algae and doesnt seem to thick. And I think sissy I can agree with you about the problem maybe being caused by the lilies. I didnt wash them. Sorry I am very new to this. So what should I do. Should I pull them out and clean them now after I change the ponds water? How can I get rid of all the black? Also do lilies need all the clay that I am reading about? I ordered some lilies from pet solutions.com and just put the lilies in asap because I was afraid they might get damaged. If you guys could let me know, that would be great. Thanks you guys!!!

Reaction score
OMG! Rivermist, do you know why or how black algae got into your pond? Did it have anything to do with putting lilies into your pond? Please let me know asap because I just bought new kois and spent alot of money recently...Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
take them out and clean them I use water and peroxide in a weak amount so I don't hurt the plant or roots .It is a mistake a lot of people make and you will not be the last one believe me .Get a tote or rubber tub as they would be cheaper to use and store your plants in until they are ready to go in .Hoping if you have city water you pretreat it as it is better for the koi .I would use quilt batting in a tote or something to pick all the fine stuff in your pond .I use it in my pond filters and in my stock tank

the green milk crate on the bottom just holds up the grey one on top that has quilt batting in it and black hose going in it is from my pump and the bag has activated charcoal in it and helps hold the hose down in the quilt batting

Reaction score
No didn't find what caused it... I treated but it was not enough so just had to empty the pond completely clean everything.

Reaction score
PS : sissy's advises are great... I did my quilt batting thing really cool.

gonna try to find peroxide... tough world for beginners ! lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I actually know someone who works for a nursing home and i know can buy it by the gallon and stronger form than walmart sells for 88 cents .Thank you rivermist and all I like is seeing peoples pretty ponds in return and hoping they are happy with them .Not easy at first but gets easier as time goes by .I have learned a lot on here and still learning every day .Now learned how much grasses can clean the water in your pond from colleen.I try to keep mine easy to care for and easy to maintain .Plants help

Attachments

• waterfall 043.JPG
    waterfall 043.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 2,022
  • waterfall 035.JPG
    waterfall 035.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 808

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thBlackWELCOMEcat.gif
acechoi613
Hoping you get it all figured out and can get rid of that black yuck! I use 110% clay kitty litter from Wal-mart to plant my lilies in and some fertilizer sticks. You can also add some Osmocote to the bottom when you plant them. You can plant them in plastic oil pans or anything similar and you don't need any holes in the pans. Water lilies need room to grow. Butt the cut or non growing ends up against the pan leaving the growing tip plenty of room to push forward. They will love you for it :luxlove:
Also look out cuz koi love to rearrange the furniture in the pond and tear plants up!

Ask a Question