Koi Pool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built this 33 years ago, when I was working and "had more time," I worked in retail. The pool is roughly 12' X 9' X 5' deep.

I did everything myself, other than the concrete raft I had laid for the York stone patio.

The filter is in a dEditedicated room in the back of the garage. The only visible evidence of it is the top of the pump sump.

Here's a tour of our small semi's back garden.

This is a montage of photos of the Japanese tea-house I built 32 years ago, which is still in perfect condition.

It now houses another of my interests. I got into this hobby, ten years ago.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-15_12-46-16.gif
@Doghouse Riley
Does this mean you are always in the dog house for some reason or another?
upload_2018-9-15_12-53-25.gif

Beautiful pond, yard and tea gardens and nice Juke box hobby! Would be great fun owning one of those :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 115753@Doghouse Riley
Does this mean you are always in the dog house for some reason or another? View attachment 115754

Beautiful pond, yard and tea gardens and nice Juke box hobby! Would be great fun owning one of those :joyful:

Thanks for your kind words.
I've several other hobbies, golf, electric piano, tenor sax and film noir.

My board name comes from one such fiilm, from this scene, featuring Martha Vickers who could act the pants off Lauren Bacall.

My jukeboxes have to live in the teahouse as my wife says there's no room for them in the house. She wouldn't have them iin the lounge and there's not enough space for them in our small front room with all my other junk. I can't argue with that.
But I can still enjoy the "jukebox experience," I've had these wallboxes for about seven years. I bought them when few knew what to do with them and they cost a fraction of what they sell for today..

As you'll see there's little room for much, else.

I've recently bought a bigger piano, a Yamaha Tyros 5, it's my sixth in three decades, four of them Yamahas, the other was nearly 20 years old, it recorded to floppy discs!.
My tenor sax is a Yamaha YTS62.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like you are having fun enjoying life to the fullest w/all your fun toys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I sure enjoyed watching the videos you have here. Your yard and pond are beautiful and I see you are quite a gardener too! Wonderful hobbies you have. You have a great life.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and funny seems like I say the same thing as I had more time when I was working and less time now that I am retired .But have to say you did a great job on everything

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks again for the kind words.

Both my pool and garden are "low maintenance" if either could ever be described as such.

Pool maintenance is just purging the bottom drain each week. I've a 40 gallon pump sump connected to the bottom drain by a 4" pipe. In it sit the filter pump at the top and the drain pump at the bottom. It's one of those big green water butts, set in concrete.

Placing a standpipe in the bottom of the sump, turning off the filter and then pumping the contents through a pipe to a house drain under the pool collar and patio means I can then remove the standpipe and the water pressure forces 40 gallons up into the sump from the bottom of the pool.
Inserting the standpipe again means all this crud can be pumped out again then the standpipe removed and the sump refilled via the bottom drain with relatively clean water.

It's a five minute job. Not like expensive modern filters. It's been working for over 30 years.

Here's the "science bit"

A pump sump prevents a lot of the coarse solids getting to the filter. As you can see not a lot of dritus gets dragged up from the sump, most sits on the bottom waiting to be pumped to waste.

The filter is very old fashioned but huge. It has eight bits of scaffolding poles supporting the trays under the top tanks. Four 40gall tanks stacked in pairs filled with flowcore and covered with a total of 12 sq feet of open cell foam through which the pool water is passed thrpogh spray bars two in each side . The second level of tanks also has spray bars to prevent tracking through the filter medium. This just needs a bit of a scrape with a wet n' dry vac every couple of years. This is the filter room in the back of my garage. The filter is covered with heavy duty bubblewrap for the winter.
You can see the UV sterilizer in the pipe to the header tank that distributes the water through four pipes to both sides of the filter. There's also a 1000 lph air pump. My water parameters are constantly boringly acceptable.
So I rarely bother to check them.
To the right is the filter for my 300 gall quarantine tank the corner of which you can just see in the bottom corner.

I run a 24/7 water trickle change through a dechlorinator. I can via valve, trickle change the water in the quarantine tank from a pipe from the header tank to its filter, so the water quality of both the pool and the tank can be kept the same.

P1030972.JPG

This is the clarity of the filtered water returning to the pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=bw8AIaa8t6I

As for the garden, we don't do bedding plants or hanging baskets. Just perenials.
The lawn edge has the hard surface of the path on the right and the left and individual features, are edged with block paving bricks. So the lawn just needs a quick wizz over with a Flymo. Beyond that it's just a bit of pruning and weeding. I'd rather play golf than send a lot of time gardening.

I've a Budweiser fridge on a table with castors, which can be rolled out on to the tea-house verandah.

When you're gardening, you need to take frequent breaks.

Fridge with Budweiser.JPG

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I didn't go fancy ,just kept it plain and simple ,no bottom drain and no skimmer .I do have 2 filters I built and 2 laguna pumps .I just use a pool net and only feed 2 or 3 times a week or when I get the time or remember .Time gets away from me these days .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't go fancy ,just kept it plain and simple ,no bottom drain and no skimmer .I do have 2 filters I built and 2 laguna pumps .I just use a pool net and only feed 2 or 3 times a week or when I get the time or remember .Time gets away from me these days .

Building a filter yourself can be quite challenging.

05__2.JPEG

And digging out a pool on your own with just a spade requires quit a bit of effort and several skips.

05_0.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is nothing but stock tanks and lava rock and an air stone in each filter plus each stock tank is in a liner and if it leaks it runs right back into the pond .I have had to many things go wrong from 2 different times dogs fell in the pond and ripped the liner to moles chewing a couple of holes in a liner .I take no chances any more .I have cameras that flash if anything comes near the pond that gives off heat also .I set up the cameras and a friends son set up the heat sensor to set off the cameras .

Ask a Question