Koi-proof pond plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hey guys, this is only my second year with koi... and man are they destructive, especially the larger that they get. I was used to shubbies and comets prior to getting koi, and I had no problems with keeping any pond plants.

However, now the only plants the koi won't eat are water lillies. I also have some corkscrew rush and zebra rush, but they're kept on the edge of the pond in the low water where the koi can't get to them. So far, my koi have destroyed water lettuce and hyacinths (they won't last more than a few days before they're completely devoid of roots), zebra rush in deeper water areas, pickerel rush, and what I think is lizard tail (but I'm not sure. It was just labeled as "pond plant" in the pond store).

My pond is starting to look pretty sparse, as far as plants go. Is this just something I have to accept as a koi keeper? Or are there koi-proof plant options?

I'm moving soon, and will be digging a new pond, so the answer may be in designing areas to plant where the fish can't get to them, but I'd much prefer to have plants that the koi won't destroy in the first place. I don't like the look of floating nets to keep them away from water lettuce/hyacinth roots, or other similar-looking barrier devices... But if I can create a shallow area blocked off with rocks, that would be better than no plants at all.

So any plant suggestions? Or pictures of methods you've used to keep plants alive in a koi pond?

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sorry, I've resorted to floating nets. I ordered them from Fosters and Smith, they're black and not very noticeable. I encase my lilies in deer fencing and zip tie shut.

I'd think a bog would be a beautiful way to have plants in your new pond...perhaps it cascades to an upper pond and then the third and lowest pond, houses your koi?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you thought about a bog? Even if you didn't want it for filtration purposes, you could plant it to your heart's content! And maybe you could build it where there was some water so you could put in things like like water hyacinth/water lettuce -- they just wouldn't be in the actual pond part. Because I think you're fighting a losing battle otherwise. Koi are going to do what koi do...

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hey guys, this is only my second year with koi... and man are they destructive, especially the larger that they get. I was used to shubbies and comets prior to getting koi, and I had no problems with keeping any pond plants.

However, now the only plants the koi won't eat are water lillies. I also have some corkscrew rush and zebra rush, but they're kept on the edge of the pond in the low water where the koi can't get to them. So far, my koi have destroyed water lettuce and hyacinths (they won't last more than a few days before they're completely devoid of roots), zebra rush in deeper water areas, pickerel rush, and what I think is lizard tail (but I'm not sure. It was just labeled as "pond plant" in the pond store).

My pond is starting to look pretty sparse, as far as plants go. Is this just something I have to accept as a koi keeper? Or are there koi-proof plant options?

I'm moving soon, and will be digging a new pond, so the answer may be in designing areas to plant where the fish can't get to them, but I'd much prefer to have plants that the koi won't destroy in the first place. I don't like the look of floating nets to keep them away from water lettuce/hyacinth roots, or other similar-looking barrier devices... But if I can create a shallow area blocked off with rocks, that would be better than no plants at all.

So any plant suggestions? Or pictures of methods you've used to keep plants alive in a koi pond?

Thanks guys.
I came across-ed a lady who uses old nylons around roots , I'm testing the method so far so good. She makes soft pots full of sand for plants she sinks too, I thought it sounded like something worth trying...anyway.

Ask a Question