Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I got a response on Facebook in reference to a photo set I put on there of my Koi and this guy who claims to be a Koi expert is telling me my black Koi is not a koi and there is no such think as a black koi :unsure: ? Now being a complete novice when it comes to koi I don't know if this guy is full of :poop: or not but I do know that I have 2 black fish that are exactly like my other koi and were labeled as koi when I bought them so, is this guy right ? or is he an idiot ? because like I said I am pretty sure my black koi are, well koi. I have even had a black goldfish before (moor) and I recall someone on this forum telling me that goldfish and koi are somewhat related. Anyway hopefully someone can help me out with this one.
Possibly @Dave 54 @Meyer Jordan might be able to find out for me ?
Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well then my koi Bert with the whiskers must not be a koi either .This is not a good pic of him ,it was after I rebuilt the pond and he looks a little red on the back .He is not pure black though .He has another color on his fins and he changes to a lighter color during the warmer season .He used to be solid black but as he got older he changed .Which is normal .I know Eric Tripplet brought up black koi on one of his koi video's .

Attachments

• DSC00785.JPG
    DSC00785.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 260

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Well then my koi Bert with the whiskers must not be a koi either .This is not a good pic of him ,it was after I rebuilt the pond and he looks a little red on the back .He is not pure black though .He has another color on his fins and he changes to a lighter color during the warmer season .He used to be solid black but as he got older he changed .Which is normal .I know Eric Tripplet brought up black koi on one of his koi video's .
Here are my koi that are black. One of them has a little gold spot on his chin but the other is solid jet black

Attachments

• unnamed (5).png
    unnamed (5).png
    76.7 KB · Views: 293

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 3 black koi. One has white tips on fins and tail and the other 2 that look completely black are actually bronze Chagoi. You can't see the bronze color until they are out of the water. The big question is do your fish have whiskers? Pure black koi ( called crows) are very rare.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Marshall if I have a description for a dark metalic koi with over all golden sheen.
If you and others find that this this description fits your koi then according to the mini koi encyclopedia keeping Koi [which has a comprehensive coverage from building your pond to choosing colour varieties ] ISBN1842861069 author/s Keith Holme, Tony Pitham, Nick fletcher
It is described as being kinbo.
In Koi appreciation the first step ISBN1861264682 Author KateMcgill who is a former BKKS Judge these are not show varieties but a form of very early Ogon.
Kinbo as already described by me .
Ginbo is described as being black with silver back,
kin Kabuto is described as having a gold helmet black body.
Lastly Gin Kabuto is descibed as having a silver helmet black body
All are described as early Ogons, Ogon is the description for a single coloured metalic meaning they are a Koi .
Ogons in the show world are classed as Hikarimuji meaning single coloured metalic koi
I will add that all these Author/s really know their koi especially Kate McGill [now living in Australia] BKKS judges are highly trained
@mrschem what you are describing is the Karasugio or blck crow described as a black koi with white tips to the fins and tail
Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Not crazy......informationally challenged.;);)

Or....They could be suffering from Data Deprivation.
Probably suffering from a combination of both and more...
I just read a short article that said the Japanese believe that keeping black Koi will chase away evil and bad luck as well as protect the other Koi. Good thing I have two black Koi just in-case :D Maybe the one with the gold colored chin and barbs is a bonus too :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Probably suffering from a combination of both and more...
I just read a short article that said the Japanese believe that keeping black Koi will chase away evil and bad luck as well as protect the other Koi. Good thing I have two black Koi just in-case :D Maybe the one with the gold colored chin and barbs is a bonus too :LOL:
Another thing about keeping black koi Marshall is this , [they are an early warnning system] on any illness or disease that may well effect them .
Why is this I hear you ask Marshall
Ths is because they are the first to show heavy mucus production indicating a problem in the pond of some sort or other and because of this you are on top of things in the whole of your pond [learn to read your koi my friend] .
What fb website is this guy on Marshall and where do they hail from in the world ?

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Another thing about keeping black koi Marshall is this , [they are an early warnning system] on any illness or disease that may well effect them .
Why is this I hear you ask Marshall
Ths is because they are the first to show heavy mucus production indicating a problem in the pond of some sort or other and because of this you are on top of things in the whole of your pond [learn to read your koi my friend] .
What fb website is this guy on Marshall and where do they hail from in the world ?

Dave
The profile indicates he is from Irvine, CA but as far as his affiliation with a website I don't know. I will see if I can't email you the response and info so you can investigate.

Ask a Question