Koi Sexing

Reaction score
I have been searching throughout all threads about how to distinguish between a male and a female koi.Can anyone help me out.Thanks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
At this size, it is easy. The wide ones are female and the torpedo shaped, sleek ones are male.
As spring comes and the water warms, the females will get wider untill they look like they are going to blow. When the water temp stablizes at 70 degrees, they will lay thier eggs.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr
Hope you have a Great one my Freind ! My first female spawning the others were eating her eggs as she was being chased all over the pond Is their any thing that would stop this ??? TKS

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I remove the eggs right after the spawn. I put them into a small aquarium and 3-5 days later the fry are hatched.
Then it is important to have food ready for them. I feed live brine shrimp to mine for the first 6 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Males will have the sand paper or like a guy hasn't shaved feel on the gills but that is mostly when they are in season. Males are also more slender not having the pouch that a mature female has. The male vent is more like a slit than round.
The female vent is round.
Only check the vents on large when sedated.

Ask a Question