Koi skin lacerations

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to the forum. I have recently joined forums for old cars and DIY things and found them immensely helpful, so I thought I would try this one. I am by no means an expert on ponds, Koi or goldfish, but I have been fortunate to have a pond at 2 different houses for the last 25 years with very few problems. I try to keep the pond clean and have in the past added salt when I saw some problems and that is about it. My current pond is about 1200 gallons.

I do now have a situation where one of my koi had a skin laceration and what looks like areas of irritation. I have previously changed out about half the water and added salt. I have attached a picture to show the problem. It isn't a great picture but I am having a problem keeping it still for a photo. It is small open wound with irritation in the surrounding area.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Art

Attachments

• sick fish.jpg
    sick fish.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 32

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1656627562890.gif
@ArtT
Can't tell really well but it doesn't look too horribly bad. I'm no expert on these things so wait for another to help you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That looks like it's either ulcerated or heading in that direction. How many koi do you have in your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Eleven, four are small. I have been at this house with this pond 6 years. They are all the same fish although I did lose 2, one about a year ago one 4 months ago. Neither had any sign of disease although the last one that died was stuck in the skimmer for maybe a couple of days.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you have rocks that could have sharp edges?

Do you test your water — with a liquid test kit? What are the number values for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH. Based on the size of your pond, and the number of fish you have, I would be looking at possible issues with water quality.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have rocks that could have sharp edges?

Do you test your water — with a liquid test kit? What are the number values for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH. Based on the size of your pond, and the number of fish you have, I would be looking at possible issues with water quality.
You could likely find a sharp edge if you looked hard enough. I haven't seen this problem before. I don't test my water - but I have ordered a liquid water test kit so will relay the results when I get it in a couple of days. I did put the problem fish in a concentrated salt bath in case it is parasites. I also changed 1/3 the water yesterday and cleaned the filter. I will wait until testing the water before I look to change out any more. I didn't want to change all the water as I am concerned about harming the fish.
Thanks,
Art

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have now tested my pond water and have high PH and phosphates. As for the phosphates, I don't believe I overfeed my fish. I also don't believe I have any problem with water run-off with fertilizer. I do have algae growth. Any suggestions on treatment would be appreciated.

Art

Reaction score
Country
United States
PH: 8.5
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Phosphate: between 5 and 10 ppm

I did replace about a third of the water so I checked my tap water which had a PH of 7 but everything else was zero. I am trying to get the water under control to see if it is contributing to my sick fishes ulcers.

Thanks.
Art

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While your investigating adding start right or any pet store stress coat type products they contain aloe to help rebuild their slime coat which in turn gives resistance to a host of issues

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Makes sense. Thanks. I am still trying to figure out the best way to lower my phosphate level. I am trying to figure out if I should just change the water or if I need to treat it a different way.

Art

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Makes sense. Thanks. I am still trying to figure out the best way to lower my phosphate level. I am trying to figure out if I should just change the water or if I need to treat it a different way.

Art
Did you check your source water for phosphates?

Also your ph is high but not that high, it’s more important that your ph is stable and doesn’t swing all over the place. Also your pond is overstocked and you could be hitting a tipping point, where the fish are starting to get sick.

How most on here myself included keep phosphates under control is with plants, be it in a bog or in the main pond. As the plants will consume phosphate, nitrates, ammonia to grow. Another method from the aquarium hobby is using phosorb or something similar in a pressure filter this granular product will absorb the phosphates from the water, but it will exhaust and need to be changed out.

Best treatment is maintaining water quality and adding a product like @GBBUDD suggested have had my fish get cuts/sores from some overly vigorous spawns, but they recover without any intervention from me. Ideally, you would remove the sick fish if necessary from the pond and treat in a hospital tank, as to not add treatments to the pond proper.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you check your source water for phosphates?

Also your ph is high but not that high, it’s more important that your ph is stable and doesn’t swing all over the place. Also your pond is overstocked and you could be hitting a tipping point, where the fish are starting to get sick.

How most on here myself included keep phosphates under control is with plants, be it in a bog or in the main pond. As the plants will consume phosphate, nitrates, ammonia to grow. Another method from the aquarium hobby is using phosorb or something similar in a pressure filter this granular product will absorb the phosphates from the water, but it will exhaust and need to be changed out.

Best treatment is maintaining water quality and adding a product like @GBBUDD suggested have had my fish get cuts/sores from some overly vigorous spawns, but they recover without any intervention from me. Ideally, you would remove the sick fish if necessary from the pond and treat in a hospital tank, as to not add treatments to the pond proper.
I did check the source for phosphates and there weren't any so my pond seems to be the problem. As to being overstocked, I actually have a couple fewer fish since I moved into this home but realize that might not mean much. I did give the one sick fish a concentrated salt bath and that seemed to help as the sores are now much less red - more pink which seems to be they are healing. There are no other sick fish now. I am also trying to get the salt level in the pond correct - as I understand it helps with parasites and the fish's protective slime coat. As for the phosphate level I will look into plants. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Salt is not necessary for your pond. Years ago that was recommended, but that is not the case now. It was used so much that parasites have developed immunity to low levels of salt.

Fish don't need help with their slime coats. They have an adequate amount as they are. The reason they develop more when salt is added is that the salt water irritates their skin and they develop extra slime coat as a defense. To me, that seems unfair and maybe borderline abusive to the fish, to force them to live in water that irritates them.

So in my opinion the correct level for salt is zero.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As WaterGardener said, no salt in a freshwater pond. If used for therapeutic purposes, it would be in a hospital tank. Salt will harm your plants too, if you have them. I’m glad your fish is recovering!

Ask a Question