Koi skin tumours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
So these koi are in the pond at the resort where I am staying. These fish didn’t have these tumours last year. Can anyone tell me what is causing this?

Attachments

• 051987A3-8D54-418C-BFAB-D9CBF62E2759.jpeg
    051987A3-8D54-418C-BFAB-D9CBF62E2759.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 4F69F8E8-0689-4324-865D-86A5960F7874.jpeg
    4F69F8E8-0689-4324-865D-86A5960F7874.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi @NancyMc ! Not that it matters much, but those aren't koi. They're goldfish. If I had to guess I'd say they have Lymphocystis - I don't know a lot about it except it's a common viral infection in fish. I don't think there's any treatment, nor is it deadly. I'd guess maybe they added some new fish that were infected. But who knows. How big is the pond? How many fish are there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Dear Lisak1,
I wondered about the type of fish. Last year there were koi but I thought this year they were just really large goldfish and you have confirmed that! The pond is pretty large and there are 2 Oscars as well as lots of turtles. Either the koi got eaten (there are large water birds in the area) or they died. I will be asking about that. Thanks for the information.
Nancy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know about your particular resort, but in many cases commercial properties will "rent" fish - they get them for the season and then get a new supply the next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Very interesting info! This is a year round pond in Hawaii so I expect the fish are theirs but I will be asking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know about your particular resort, but in many cases commercial properties will "rent" fish - they get them for the season and then get a new supply the next year.
That sounds like a good way to introduce disease. Depending on the source and how careful they are

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Alice_Bee - Very true, but the kinds of places I'm thinking of aren't really all that concerned about fish health. They treat them more like the decor - they rent some potted plants, they rent some fish. Same difference. Shopping malls, corporate buildings, big hotels and resorts... We've even toured privately owned ponds that do the same thing - they have a service come in the spring and deliver some new fish then come back in the fall and take them back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
@Alice_Bee - Very true, but the kinds of places I'm thinking of aren't really all that concerned about fish health. They treat them more like the decor - they rent some potted plants, they rent some fish. Same difference. Shopping malls, corporate buildings, big hotels and resorts... We've even toured privately owned ponds that do the same thing - they have a service come in the spring and deliver some new fish then come back in the fall and take them back.
Hope they have really do have someone come and take them back and don’t let them die over winter. We hope...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in a different sort of climate, they don't die over the winter here, well, unless the heron comes or a major catastrophe.

Ask a Question