Koi sleeping on its side

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's winter and the koi are hibernating.
The water is 40 degrees.
Of my 10 koi, one of them is sleeping on its side with a very slight bend in it's body. It has been doing that for a week.
This is my 11th winter with the pond and fish and I've never had this happen before.
Should I be concerned or does he prefer sleeping on his side like me?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, fish don't "sleep" per se, so no he's not just a side-sleeper. The bend in his body is concerning as that can be a sign of illness or injury.

How big is your pond? What kind of filtration? Do you shut down for winter or keep the pond running?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some fish don't respond well to cold water. They need to be brought inside for winter and provided with warmer water than they would have in the pond. I know of several people who have this issue with specific fish. They keep those fish inside, usually in a garage, for winter, then return them to the pond in the spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont really understand,when I read people saying bring the fish inside for winter, I'm sure you all know how big koi get. And when you have a large pond trying to catch them is a hole nutha level. Where does one put them inside? And what do they put them in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some people build an inside pond for them, some more elaborate than others. Other people use a temporary Intex type pool for them. Some use the larger water troughs, like ones from Tractor Supply, especially if it is only a couple of fish. They usually have at least two inside, since they feel the compromised fish needs some company. All of those set-ups need adequate filtration to keep the water in good shape.

The people I'm aware of who do this either have a basement to keep them in, or house them in their garage.

Some folks even bring in all their fish for winter.

Ask a Question