koi swimming on his side, one side is bloated compared to other

Reaction score
this is not new. right after we got him a couple years ago i think he got shocked. had that crecent C shape but could still swim and survived. i discoved one of my outlets wasn't grounded (my bad). in any case, this guy has survived a couple years since. he is maybe 10-12 inches now and eats like a pig. seems happy enough but always swims on his side. not quite all the way over but leaning past 45 degrees. no C shape anymore, but one side is noticably fatter.

we had decided to just let him be but sitting by the pond again tonight i though, heck maybe there is something i can do. can't hurt to ask. i will note that after the winter was passing i noticed him on the bottom laying motionless. i thought he'd died but when i went to scoop him out he swam away. that was several months ago. fed em all medikoi for about 2 weeks just in case it was something bacterial, but it made no appreciable difference.

i check water quality weekly. nitrates at a low level but everything else is spot on. run about 8 on the ph. keep the water tuned with cacl and sodium bicarb. dual pump, dual filters. one oxygenator. lillies, waterhyacinths and lettuce. only issue may be a bit too much phosphate as my waterfall stream builds up string algae pretty fast. put a bundle of barley in the falls a couple weeks ago, that should help.

any ideas on how to help "bumbles" would be appreciate. we call him that because he's yellow and black like a little bumblebee.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I truly have no idea really.
The shock could have peralized that side or that could have been the exit point of the electricity.
He could be having blater issues sometimes cooked skinless peas help with that.
But if the fish has been like this for 2 years and is still eating and the water is testing good and he looks good (Or the same) since the incident
I would it be right now anything you do is just a guess really

The fish sitting at the bottom motionless or real slow during the winter is prety normal they don't eat (do not feed) or move very much when the water temp drops down.

Good luck
Ruben

Ask a Question