Koi Teeth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How many people know that both Goldfish and koi have teeth koi the larger they get produce something very similar to our own except they are hollow inside unlike our own .
The are situated in the throat and as they grow they continually keep on shedding them.
Since the first vortex style filter is empty of any media and just holds detritus that drops to the bottom.
It is this filter that we do our bi-weeky water changes from, draining the bottom drain into it three times to achieve the required water change.
Each time we drain this filter I always have a look for any Koi teeth that may have been shed by them.
So far up to today when I fished another one out I have found over 20 of them ranging in size from Large to small dependant on the size of the koi .
How many weve missed in the draining of the filter i the detritus I do not know perhaps many ........
However we collect them and have turned it into a fun game, Val and I each filter clean will bet each other if I will fined 0, 1,2,3,or more.
Our record is three in one water change , I've lost a few filshing them from the bottom , the smaller they are the more delicate they are .
Does anyone else collect teeth I wonder especially those kept indoors @koiguy1969 had any luck my friend ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For those of you who have never seen koi or goldfish teeth before here are a couple of images for you to look at you can clearly see in the photo of the goldfish where these teeth are situated its the same for koi , these photo's I've down loaded for you to look at
koi teeth.jpg

Goldfish Teeth.jpg

Dave

Ask a Question