KOI to fat?

Reaction score
how do you know when you have fed your Koi too much. Our summers are short here so I have been trying to make sure they get plenty, I just don't want to over do it. I have about 13 fish in a 8-10,000 gallon pond. Half are two years old the rest are one. I think my little guys are looking pretty good, but maybe the bigger ones a little on the heavy side...

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have seen some pretty fat koi that were healthy. Does he look healthy? And is this an overnight thing or has it been gradual? Do you have a pic?

Reaction score
ok, will go for some pictures

View attachment 6489

View attachment 6490

these are a couple of the chubbies.. just fat? They act fine. Pictures are not that good, sorry, I always want to take pictures when the light is wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 740

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pretty fish, they must love their food!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They don't look overly fat, but very plump! But your water appears pretty green, If that's the case, I think I would consider giving smaller feedings. The Butterfly shows off best if you don't grow it too fast. They show off far better in the size range you have now, Grow them to fast and there are cases where fins get brittle and split, shrink to the body size or break off. Large butterfly koi usually show off better if they can grow large slowly. Also if your trying to pump growth, you need to feed the highest protein Koi food you can, over feeding with 28-32% protein food will fatten for winter but also produce a lot more extra waste in your pond.

Reaction score
Thanks! I will cut back on the food. The water is a little green but my pond is over three feet deep and can see clearly all the way to the bottom. I did have a nice outbreak of string algea but I just pull that out. I will try for some better pictures of all my fish this weekend.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually the algea is probably what is helping thepond stay clear. May not look good but sting algae is really a great Nitrate remover and it will help greatly to help keep water clear when there are no or limited plant growth. Be careful not to remove to much until you can get plants in there to help take over.

Reaction score
My creek is full of it, it is growing in my little attached bog filled with cattails and grasses and also have about 3-4 humdred gallon bog filter which is what feeds the creek then back to the pond. My water is pretty clear until the dog decides to play in the big bog, I try to keep her out but she is a puppy and sometimes just can't control herself. I don't mind the algea unless it gets real heavy then out it comes. We live in the desert with frequent high winds so a lot of stuff gets blown in the pond, I am happy it is as clear as it is and the fish seem very happy.

Ask a Question