Koi trying to swim up the waterfall? normal?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just noticed that one of my larger koi fish was trying to swim up the waterfall for a minute or two. Is this normal?

Is this a sign of poor oxygen levels? I haven't never seen my koi do this before.

Thanks,
Gianni

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There have been several posters here who have had this happen w/ their Koi. It seems to be a normal thing that they may want to do. Just hope they don't get too carried away and jump out of the pond as some here have done. Some have been able to get there in time to save them and place them back in the pond.........others not so lucky :rolleyes:

Reaction score
j.w said:
There have been several posters here who have had this happen w/ their Koi. It seems to be a normal thing that they may want to do. Just hope they don't get too carried away and jump out of the pond as some here have done. Some have been able to get there in time to save them and place them back in the pond.........others not so lucky :rolleyes:

My waterfall is about 3-4 feet. The are are plenty of rocks around to prevent the fish from jumping out. I got scared 'cause I have never seen them do that before ... I guess one of my koi wants to become a dragon ... lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They can jump quite high so just keep an eye on them to make sure they haven't turned into flying fish
flyingfish5.png

Ask a Question