5b
Country
United States
Some of those koi make me want to shop....I must resist temptation:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Some of those koi make me want to shop....I must resist temptation:LOL:
i wud have done that long time ago but most of these varieties are so rare , i havent seen them in shops or they are too hard to identify as fry , once i bought a kii-utsari yellow on black and it turned some thing else , very tricky some varieties to buy as fry they look different , may b they do come but sold quick , have no chance , the only rare fish i have now is shiro utsuri white on black which looks like killer whale , was by chance i just saw 2 pieces among 100 that time .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i wud have done that long time ago but most of these varieties are so rare , i havent seen them in shops .
lol I'm not picky, I don't go after the exact fish I see..... I admire your rare koi but then I know I'd be just as happy with one that come close in colors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I've always thought the name Ghost Koi stemmed from the fact that these fish had a ghost like marking on their head? Something my two ghosts have shown in the past that looked like an outline of a head with arms stretched above it like ghost trying to frighten you! Honest, that's what both mine have looked like. Their colour and pattern has gradually changed as they are now in their early twenties and it's not quite as obvious today.
Gemma, yes, the expensive koi can be admired from afar and I too have bought lookalikes! I have two ordinary goldfish types (which do have a specific name that escapes me at the moment) and they are both solid white with one large red head spot, they look remarkably similar to the Tancho Kohaku....suits me! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've always thought the name Ghost Koi stemmed from the fact that these fish had a ghost like marking on their head? Something my two ghosts have shown in the past that looked like an outline of a head with arms stretched above it like ghost trying to frighten you! Honest, that's what both mine have looked like. Their colour and pattern has gradually changed as they are now in their early twenties and it's not quite as obvious today.
Do you see one that looks like yours in this pic?
https://nextdaykoi.com/shop/koi/10-4-5-5-5-ghost-koi/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I bought my "dream fish" , a ginrin chagoi....love her :)
Last Spring, when I was looking for baby koi to replace the largest ones I was getting rid of, I read a lot about the different kinds and I remember wanting a Chagoi because it was described as being the most tame and adorably mellow temperament one, but I decided to pass on it because it said Chagoi are the fastest growing of koi and I was afraid to overcrowd

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine are just ugly mutts from the koi farm and less than 5 dollars.Did not want to loose expensive fish if I failed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
@Gemma, not really. Wow! I've never seen ghosts in colours like that! In my area of the UK I've only ever seen them in a silver or bronze colour way. Those look very nice. Mine are bronze.
I'll look through my pics later on and see if I've got a shot of them. Too late to go outside now for a photo all as it's pitch black dark now:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
mine are just ugly mutts from the koi farm and less than 5 dollars.Did not want to loose expensive fish if I failed
No such thing as ugly mutt, I think all fish are beautiful
I have some more expensive and colorful ones, yet my very favorite is plain (Avatar) :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma, not really. Wow! I've never seen ghosts in colours like that! In my area of the UK I've only ever seen them in a silver or bronze colour way. Those look very nice. Mine are bronze.
I'll look through my pics later on and see if I've got a shot of them. Too late to go outside now for a photo all as it's pitch black dark now:)
I'm thinking people definition of Ghost koi vary....hope you find those pics! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No such thing as ugly mutt, I think all fish are beautiful
I have some more expensive and colorful ones, yet my very favorite is plain (Avatar) :)

he called them that and instead of killing them from his big ponds he would put them in tanks in he greenhouse and sell them to the public .Some cost me a dollar and turned out to be really pretty fish .Aggie and bert were the ugly ones from him and so were the fat fantails I got .He had ponds full of different kinds of fish ,but he retired a couple of years ago .He was in Eden NC

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Last Spring, when I was looking for baby koi to replace the largest ones I was getting rid of, I read a lot about the different kinds and I remember wanting a Chagoi because it was described as being the most tame and adorably mellow temperament one, but I decided to pass on it because it said Chagoi are the fastest growing of koi and I was afraid to overcrowd

I did have to rehome another koi, to make room for her....keeping my numbers at 4 koi. It was tough to rehome one, but it went to my neighbor, who has a huge pond. I'd love an ochiba, but would either have to rehome another, or enlarge the pond....neither option very likely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd love an ochiba, but would either have to rehome another, or enlarge the pond....neither option very likely.

I have:1 Kikusui, 1Shusui butterfly, 1 Ginrin Yamabuchi Ogon butterfly, 1 Sanke, 1 Hariwake butterfly, 1orange Matsuba 2 imported japonese mixed, the silver in my avatar and 1 butterfly version of that....those are my 10 koi
I really would like a Kikokuryu but I'm done re-homing, I really want to see these that I have growing up, so unless one of them dyes, I won't buy any more.....I think:ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question