Koi with bleeding lip

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a smaller asagi koi (about 6 inches) in an indoor tank and his bottom lip has become a mess! A few months ago I noticed it was red and swollen so I fed it some medicated food (Medi-Gold) and it seemed to help. Last week it started coming back and this morning it was in really rough shape, it is bleeding and looks like it is dying back. I wonder if it is because he shovels around in the gravel bottom looking for food or could it be some sort of fungus or parasite or disease?

I do have a 18 gallon cement tub in the basement that is acting as a hospital tank for a 8 inch pool comet that got attacked by 'something' in my pond this past summer. Should I move the koi to that tank since there is no gravel there?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Could not hurt to do so. I had one that was squesing between a pot and the side of the pond, both her sides were raw but she liked to swim that way. I pulled her and QT for a month. She is fine and I moved the pots so she can go her way. I added Melafix to QT to speed up healing worked great.

Ask a Question