Koi with other fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would be good fish to keep with Koi? What about Fancy Goldfish, Bala sharks, crayfish or Turtles?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Koi pretty much get along with everything. Its more like will the turtles get along with your koi. The answer is it depends on the size of your pond, species of turtle, If you are going to try to keep a turtle you will need to put up some type of fence/barrier around the pond to contain them, otherwise they will leave.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Koi pretty much get along with everything. Its more like will the turtles get along with your koi. The answer is it depends on the size of your pond, species of turtle, If you are going to try to keep a turtle you will need to put up some type of fence/barrier around the pond to contain them, otherwise they will leave.
Im think about 300 gallon above ground to get stared. So I more thinking about Crayfish over turtles? And some Rose red fish(the feeders). Or Im think about native fish. Or mixing the 2 ideals if it can work.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
300 gallon pond is too small for koi as they grow quickly, get 3’ long, large bodied and will overwhelm the filter system quickly. Better off sticking with goldfish or make a native pond, those are always interesting(at least to me).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Im think about 300 gallon above ground to get stared.
Welcome to our forum!

One koi needs 1000 gallons, the second koi needs another 500 gallons. I would stick with fantails in that pond. I have fantails in my 300 gallon hot tub pond, shubunkins in my around 9000-10000 gallon pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Instead of koi, you may want to begin with goldfish. For koi, you need at least 1000 gallons — for the first koi — then approximately an additional 250-300 gallons per additional koi. Maybe for now, focus on learning about the hobby.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

One koi needs 1000 gallons, the second koi needs another 500 gallons. I would stick with fantails in that pond. I have fantails in my 300 gallon hot tub pond, shubunkins in my around 9000-10000 gallon pond.

Instead of koi, you may want to begin with goldfish. For koi, you need at least 1000 gallons — for the first koi — then approximately an additional 250-300 gallons per additional koi. Maybe for now, focus on learning about the hobby.
Thank You for your help. It will be 2021 before I get a pond up and running. Im just leering about pond for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cant say it no frikin way if theres a bigger and a biggest Um ouch lps coming my way i quit now . That was a lot of work

Ask a Question