koi without dorsal fin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I took a look at your website @23moostveen and you sure have a beautiful garden. I had a good chuckle over your dislike of cauliflower and brussels sprouts, my parents also grew them in large quantities however unlike you I love them, boiled or roasted or with a good cheese sauce I'll eat them. Now boiled cabbage is a whole different kettle of fish and is what I ended up hating. Just looking at the picture you posted, I'm curious if it has any barbells as they are not noticeable.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@23moostveen I found this site that talks about certain goldfish, not koi that do not have dorsal fins.
Fin Variations
There are really only two major caudal fin variations, single and twin.

Within these two types, caudal fins can be long, short, pointed or rounded at the ends, forked or have no fork at all, depending on the goldfish type. The rest of the finnage generally follows the caudal fin form.

Single tailed varieties include the Common, Comet, Bristol and London shubunkins.

All other fancy varieties should have two caudal fins (and two anal fins on the better specimens).

Sometimes single tailed fancy goldfish are called nymphs, but they are only poor specimens that shouldn’t have made it passed the first cull.

The only other major fin variation is goldfish with a missing dorsal fin. These varieties include the Celestial, Water Bubble Eye, Pompom and Lionhead. These goldfish are some of the most highly developed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They breed these fish to not have dorsal fins and cull out any that do. I would not like doing that. I think I would just enjoy your fish as it is cuz chances are you would not find another one to breed it with. Also I read somewhere that the dorsal fin helps the fish to stay upright and not have a tendency to roll over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wondered the same thing - kind of why I was surprised to see so much color in a small koi. I wondered if this might be a goldfish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I thought that too @Mmathis the body of a koi but wonder if it could be a cross between GF and koi? Thing is he says he only has koi. Wonder tho if one of the koi he has could be part GF and he does not know it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm hoping OP comes back to answer, I'm so curious
smfish.gif

Ask a Question