koi

Reaction score
I think I may have a problem with one of my koi. I have several large koi and one of them has some how cut the side of his mouth it is not bleeding and he is still eating but the piece is just hanging there can anyone tell me what to do, if anything.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I am not a vet

There is not much you can do about the damage. Your concern should be about infection or disease in the open wound. I would go to your local fish store and talk to someone who has been in the business a while about remedies if that happens.

I would treat it with a 3% saline solution for no more than 10 minutes with aireation, this will help reduce the possibility of parasites. If your pond does not have salt in it, I would make it .1% for now. If you have water plants, some may not like it but the fish will.

I run hot and cold on the .1% in my own pond due to water plants. My tanks are all at .1% (I have over 1000 fry in those).

Reaction score
I work for a vet and if there is a piece of flesh hangibg from the wound then it needs to be removed. Infection is one major concern take steps to prevent this as well. The damage its self will heal, clean water is a must.

Ask a Question