koi

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why one of my koi is just sitting at the bottom of the pond, He is breathing put only moving if i force him to.

Reaction score
I recently refurbished my 550 gal pond and installed some plants and 25" koi. A few days later, I had an algae bloom and have not seen the fish in more than two weeks. I am afraid of foul play from critters but just cannot believe they were harvested. I am undertaking an algae bloom plan but still not clear enough to see the 2 koi. Do I just have shy koi. How do I socialize my koi. I have not even attempted to feed them.

Reaction score
jcrane said:
oops ... meant two 5" koi

They are more then likely hiding. It will take them a while to feel safe, took ours a month or so to come out during daylight.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Even hiding Koi have to eat. So give them a little food each day. They will find it. Don't worry about them, I have been surprised after months of waiting.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was worried that if I put food in the pond it would encourage them to stay hidden. I will offer them a little each day.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
a 5" koi can hide a lot easier, they will show up one day a lot bigger.

Reaction score
In the following picture there are 6 3-4" koi. You don't see a single one and the pond is crystal clear. I actually never really got to see them much. There is a rock formation in the upper left of the pond. All 6 would swim between the rocks, and that is where they would stay.

This spring I have 12 koi, all could hide under the white bottom drain in the upper right of the photo. Koi are more apt to come out at night, as they feel safer.

PondNight1.jpg

Ask a Question