"Krafty" Koi

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The use of prebiotics and probiotics in fish diets has been researched for the past several years primarily with the goal of bringing more (and larger) fish to market by the aquaculture industry. Garlic has been proven to be one of the more powerful of these substances substantially strengthening the immune response in fish.
A recent research project has revealed that there is another substance that equals, and in some cases, exceeds the results produced by garlic. That substance is ........Cheese!
Has anyone on this forum ever used cheese as a supplement in their fish's diets?
Can fish get high cholesterol?:confused:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL, no, but I did think about throwing some in [and for the turtles] one day. Then, I wondered how their digestive systems would handle dairy products.......so I didn't. Is there some chemical component in the cheese that would be the main helpful ingredient? I mean, garlic is garlic, but cheese...... Not sure I'm ready to test that theory, LOL!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Mine like sharp cheddar. Lil tiny bits. Never tried garlic but heard Dave mention it, might give it a try next season.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yum! Will it make us healthier, as well?
Catch-22! It will make you healthier in one respect, but may blow your cholesterol levels off the chart. Evidently fish do not have problems with cholesterol.
Because of my heart condition, by doctors have instructed me to avoid cheese and being the model patient that I am....I eat it anyway.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The use of prebiotics and probiotics in fish diets has been researched for the past several years primarily with the goal of bringing more (and larger) fish to market by the aquaculture industry. Garlic has been proven to be one of the more powerful of these substances substantially strengthening the immune response in fish.
A recent research project has revealed that there is another substance that equals, and in some cases, exceeds the results produced by garlic. That substance is ........Cheese!
Has anyone on this forum ever used cheese as a supplement in their fish's diets?
Can fish get high cholesterol?:confused:
Not sure if they could get it in the sense of a detrimental thing but some of the highest cholesterol dense foods are fish so...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheese m.mmm back in a mo ....... munch, munch love a slice of wendsleydale on cracked pepper rivita cant beat it :happy:
Well you can but pickled onions this late in the day I think not .
Been giving the koi Garlic for at least six years now @MeyerJordan since before the koi food industry even contimplated using it .
Cheese.
I heard of one nutcase of a koi keeper pouring neat Yogurt into her pond to such a degree as it caused the detriment of her ponds water quality.
She comes from South Africas neighbour Zimbabwi and hails herself the president of its koi society [her only member].....

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheddar was one of the cheeses mentioned in the research paper. One other was cottage cheese curds.
I'm not sure where I read it now either in a BKKS Magazine A5 or glossy, or it may have been a koi one, even a practical fish keeping one. It may even have been from the AKCA website or from one of our koi books but it was a goodly while ago now because it was in my first and every draft of alternate food stuff there after .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Came across this reference :-

http://dyuthi.cusat.ac.in/jspui/bitstream/purl/95/1/Dyuthi-T0006.pdf

Theres reference to the brazilian peanut causing cancer in Turkey, trout and Carp

Dave

This extensive research document deals with mycotoxins, specifically aflatoxin, which are produced by fungi which occur on most any stale food item. This is the whitish growth that can be seen on old fish food.
This document does not indicate any toxicity of fresh peanuts to any animal.
The European Union has established toxicity levels of this particular toxin for certain animals, fish not being one of them.
Based on this document, fresh peanuts are not harmful to fish or any other animal.

Last edited:

Ask a Question