Laguna PowerJet 3000 just stopped

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pump just stopped after running great for 7 weeks. I popped out the impeller and the ceramic shaft was in two pieces, so I got a new one. The pump started right up, but just for 20 minutes, then it shut off. I pulled it apart 2 more times and same thing. Any idea what would cause this? I'm at a loss. My mag-drives just ran, never had this issues with over 10 years of use.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the max flo and had to send it back and they sent me a new one and noticed today it is not working right either .It is not pushing water like it did .I pulled and checked it for something maybe stuck in it not once but 3 times so far .First one kept stopping and then got so hot you could not touch it .I give up gonna tell them I want my money back and get another harbor freight one .Not one problem with it in over 3 years now and it pumps 2400 gph and the laguna says 2900 gph

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I can't take it back, it was given to me. I gonna try to call Laguna tomorrow to see what would cause it to shut down. I've got a spare Mag-Drive I could use, but I jsut bought the new impeller for the Laguna.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Check to see if there is anything where the ceramic shft sits in that could be causing this trouble or in fact if you are acctually fittng it right ceramic shfts dont just brake like that.
Are they mounted in two rubber mounts, I say this as all impellors I've used had these rubber ended mounts top and bottom?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Dave - I took it completely apart and looked inside. I blew everything out with a garden hose. I can see the hole on the bottom for the rubber grommet and the hole in the cover for the other grommet. They look completely clear. It starts up perfectly, just shuts off, like it's tripping something.

When I put the pump back together, it seams to fit good. I've used a lot of these magnet type pumps, but usually they either start or don't. Changing the impeller has always fixed it.

The shaft was just in two pieces, but you wouldn't know if you didn't pull the impeller. When I did, only half came out, the bottom half was still in the rubber grommet and I needed needle nose pliers to remove.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, the girl at Laguna says that 99% of the time this is caused by some debris being in the impeller hole (don't remember the specific name). She said I need to really scrub the internals with a q-tip if don't have something else. She swore that it wouldn't be the impeller, since that was new. I guess I'll have to try this, but I blew it out with the hose and didn't see anything else in there, but who knows, many it's really fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried the q tip too as they told me the same thing .If it is that small I told them then they should not be selling the pumps .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
sissy said:
I tried the q tip too as they told me the same thing .If it is that small I told them then they should not be selling the pumps .
I doubt there's anything there, but I'm being hopeful. Since mine is older than 3 years, I'll have to get another pump if it doesn't work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Nope just as I thought, nothing there. I even used vegitible oil on the shaft as they directed me. It still trips off every 25 seconds. Feels hot inside too and needs a few minutes to cool before it restarts.

Guess the pump crapped out.

Reaction score
I googled the Laguna PowerJet3000 to see what type of customer reviews I could find on this pump. Although this pump has 5 star customer reveiws, I did see where several other people had the same problem that both of you had. Falconut and Sissy - how old are your pumps? It looked like from what I was reading on the reviews that the impellers were replaced annually - is that part of Laguna's recommended maintenance? I am just wondering as I am not familiar with these pumps.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I am sure you thought of this already but thought I would put it out there anyway.
Do's this pump have a low water shutoff thing ?
Maybe that is bad and is tripping the shut off.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Carolyn22 - MIne is probably around 10 years old. Dad said he replaced the impeller once. Laguna didn't says how often to replace, but said they should be pulled apart and cleaned every 8 weeks.

Ruben Miranda - Not sure if it's got a low water shut off, but it's completely submerged each time. I think the thermo went bad or there's water leaking into the plug hole. Seems to bubble in that area when I submerge it. I tried to take the bak off, but it's got some weird specialty screws that I don't have a driver for. My dad's just gonna use it for parts, he has a brand new one that he just started using.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is brand new and this is the second one and they are going to give me credit back on my card .I give up on them .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Newbie and not posting a reply but a question relating to these laguna pumps. Apologies if going about this the wrong way.
I have had my pond for around 4 years and originally had all laguna items. Only change to this is adding an 18w blagdon uv as my previous one packed up in my pressure filter. Anyway. After around 2 tp 2 and a half years my laguna max flo 5000 just stopped working. Was not entirely sure how long they should last and assumed only 1 year guarantee so borrowed a temp pump from father in law for around 6 months then purchased a 1 year old Max flo 6000 from my bezzy as he initially liked the idea after helping me build mine but g9t bored with it so filled it in. Anyway, same thing has happened again. Woke up this morning and completely dead. Have taken out of cage which was completely clean inside as only done a few weeks ago hosed through put back in and still nothing. Completely dead. I Have read through some posts about impellors etc. And will be taking apart hopefully over the weekend but I'm in the middle of decorating the kitchen so don't want to upset the missus and change priorities. I plan to have a look at both of them so will update thread when had a close look. Any advice in mean time as never looked at the inside of these things before would be appreciated. My main questions at this time are. 1.Are there any specific/special tools that I may need for this and 2. How long will I be able to get away with not having it running just in case i don't get to do it this weekend. It looks like its gonna be a scorcher of a weekend and don't want any problems as have been considerably lucky over the years. Fish are growing nice. never had illnesses or issues whatsoever apart from these bloody pumps. And advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, this won't help. The Laguna brand does seem to have QC issues - I've heard nothing but bad things about their pressure filters on other forums. I gather they're the more budget end of the market.

Ask a Question