Landscape ideas for around pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a 500 gal. pond that needs some landscaping near the fence. We just had to cut two spruce trees down because they were diseased and dropping all kinds of needles in the pond. It will be much easier to keep clean now!! Since we can’t have the stumps ground away, we are hoping to landscape around the back of the pond to disguise them.

This area of our yard gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I’m thinking some more Creeping Jenny and some Hostas, but looking for some height for the back corner. Now that we’ve got more sun, I think our water lilies will perk back up, too.

What are your favorite plants for around your pond??

Attachments

• EE11A178-4B8F-405F-B4D9-D2061BEB9676.jpeg
    EE11A178-4B8F-405F-B4D9-D2061BEB9676.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 110
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
Yes. Inexpensive, and bloom all summer.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If You like the tropical look, you could go with cannas in the back corner some grow 6-8’ tall. Depending on your zone some may be perennials. Taros are another plant that could give you some height as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have a 500 gal. pond that needs some landscaping near the fence. We just had to cut two spruce trees down because they were diseased and dropping all kinds of needles in the pond. It will be much easier to keep clean now!! Since we can’t have the stumps ground away, we are hoping to landscape around the back of the pond to disguise them.

This area of our yard gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I’m thinking some more Creeping Jenny and some Hostas, but looking for some height for the back corner. Now that we’ve got more sun, I think our water lilies will perk back up, too.

What are your favorite plants for around your pond??
My favorite are succulents . There are so many interesting kinds and they will look great around your rocks. I like the idea of day liliys against the fence and succulents closer to the water. I also like mixing in different clump of plants so you get flowers different times of the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd use those stumps as a great spot for some big pots! A pot can give you height, plus color, and you can change out what you plant in it from season to season. Then you can plant around them for some added interest. I have some pots that I choose for the color of the pot, and other pots that I picked so they blend into the landscape and the plants are the star. Either way I think pots are fun and a nice change of pace from just in-the-ground planting.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe some ornamental grasses? They come in all sizes, depending on how much of the fence you want to hide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'd use those stumps as a great spot for some big pots! A pot can give you height, plus color, and you can change out what you plant in it from season to season. Then you can plant around them for some added interest. I have some pots that I choose for the color of the pot, and other pots that I picked so they blend into the landscape and the plants are the star. Either way I think pots are fun and a nice change of pace from just in-the-ground planting.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Besides being aesthetically pleasing, it will help solve the problem of the roots you're going to be running to if you try to plant too close to those stumps.

Other than that, my favorite plants to put around my pond are... ALL of them!!! :ROFLMAO: (I'm a bit of a plant-a-holic) Ornamental grasses look lovely near the water's edge, and I like to do clumps of various plants that will bloom at different times, so I've always got something flowering. You could even attach lattice or a trellis of some sort up against the fence & train a nice climber up it.

Ask a Question