landscape lighting problems

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Has onyone else had any problems with the quick connector for the 12v landscape lighting you get fromt the stores. I have had nothing but problems since I put it in 8 years ago around my yard, they always seem to come loose and you have to go out and wiggle the wire and bend it a certain way for it to keep a good connection. Last year I redid it all after being frustrated night after night of fixing it. I cut the connector ends off that come from the light and then I cut the main 12v wire and splice it all together using wire nuts and electrical tape. I have done this on all the lights except a few that are wedged in rocks around the pond and rather challenging to get to, but after last night in the rain messing with two of them it looks like I am going to have to finish the job that I started last year. This has been the best solution that I came up with and have had no problems with them since.

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to repair some bad connections with my 12v lighting later this week. Some of my new lighting has ridiculously bad connectors; they are elaborate, delicate things that don't work for crap.

I might try direct splicing, but for buried connections I think I'll go with heat shrink wire jackets over electrical tape to reduce moisture problems.

Got any pics of the finished connections?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No I don't have any pics but when I do the ones around the pond I will take some before and after photos. I think my 12v wire is 12g because I have some decent size runs and had to use the bigger red wire nuts. I have had no problems with them since I did this. There is also something called liquid electrical tape which I am going to try and use next time, might be easier and better than the heat shrink tubing.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use all leds now connections on them are screw on and I put electrical tape over every connection .O wrap it around them 3 or 4 times

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
sissy said:
I use all leds now connections on them are screw on and I put electrical tape over every connection .O wrap it around them 3 or 4 times

I thought about switching over to LED's but they are still too expensive. Once the price comes down some more I will look to switching.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you watch for end of summer sales they are less than half price .I got my 4 sets from walmart last year at 20 dollars each and they each 20 lights on them and the capacity for each transformer was 35 lights and just made it down my driveway on both sides .My driveway is a little over 300 ft. long and these I bought 2 years ago and have had no problems with them yet .Just worried one morning I may get up to a plane on my driveway lol

Reaction score
I found the Liquid tape and replaced the two most bothersome connections. That stuff works great! No more fussing around with those stupid connectors; I'm splicing whenever I have wiring problems in the future. :(

taherrmann4 said:
No I don't have any pics but when I do the ones around the pond I will take some before and after photos. I think my 12v wire is 12g because I have some decent size runs and had to use the bigger red wire nuts. I have had no problems with them since I did this. There is also something called liquid electrical tape which I am going to try and use next time, might be easier and better than the heat shrink tubing.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hotspurdotus said:
I found the Liquid tape and replaced the two most bothersome connections. That stuff works great! No more fussing around with those stupid connectors; I'm splicing whenever I have wiring problems in the future. :bouncycig:

Hotspurdotus I am glad the liquid electrical tape worked for you, I will be using when I redo the pond lights.

Thanks for the update.

Ask a Question