Landscaping advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
we have just moved house and inherited a lovely functioning pond. It's kidney shaped and the previous owners took the paving, plants and waterfall with them!!! Could anyone give me some advice on restoring this pond to look good on a tight budget for now as the house needs many other jobs doing!

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Field stones are your friend. The pond doesn't look too big, guessing less then 1000 gallons? Any fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum Tim! :) That's not great about the previous owner taking those things! Did they feature on the promotional material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not a huge pond. About 15 fish a few about 4 inches and some 2 inches. Don't know how much water it holds. Depth varies from 2-4 ft ish

It was all in the photographs but not on the fixtures list however it wasn't listed as being taken either!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you've got no water flow and just a few fish, I think I'd be inclined to pick up a cheap pump with a fountain head that does 1,000 gph or so. The pump will be useful later and it will give you time to sort out what you ultimately want to do.

I'm guessing your previous owners also took their favorite, larger fish too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an aqua max 5500 pump and biotec 5 filter system which has a gutter pipe putting water back into the pond. They left all the fish I believe not sure why they took the paving. Guess they had another use for it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

Around here, you can get a permit ($10.00) to go out to the desert and pick up as much as a ton of rock with one permit. They even give you a map to the various locations with various type of rock. Some flat stones would be nice to cap the top of the liner if you can find anything in your area for free. I always hated the thought of buying rock.

With some acquired rock and a scrap piece of liner you could build a water fall for next to nothing.

Then I would suggest making friends with your neighbors who have nicely landscaped yards, compliment their plantings and see if they will give you some free starts! Iris and day lilies are very common around here and easy to take starts off of and easy to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On another note some of the Liberia coming away at the edge. Is there a good way of securing it. I,e fold it down and cement paving slabs over it or can I get some cheap liner and about 12 inches wide and bond it near to the top edge of the old liner, fold that over the top and hold down with stones?

Ask a Question