Landscaping foam

Reaction score
What brand have you found that works the best? I am putting in 2 ponds; 9x24 & 6x16. Both with waterfalls. I am thinking that I will need a case of cans. What has been your experience?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How are you planning to use the foam? It's not a structural foam. Meyer Jordan is correct that it's usually only used to divert water in waterfalls, such as spots where you have placed rocks, but the water isn't going quite where you want it -- the foam will fill in small gaps so the water will cooperate.

Have you ever used this foam stuff (like Great Stuff in the can)? Once you open a can and start to use it, you have to use it all as it doesn't "keep" like caulk and such will. Unless someone knows something I don't know about it, that is.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How are you planning to use the foam? It's not a structural foam. Meyer Jordan is correct that it's usually only used to divert water in waterfalls, such as spots where you have placed rocks, but the water isn't going quite where you want it -- the foam will fill in small gaps so the water will cooperate.

Have you ever used this foam stuff (like Great Stuff in the can)? Once you open a can and start to use it, you have to use it all as it doesn't "keep" like caulk and such will. Unless someone knows something I don't know about it, that is.....
You are correct concerning the Great Stuff foam. Once you start using a can you better use all of it. Some of the better brands of Waterfall foam, however, will keep for reuse within a reasonable period of time.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Oh, goody! Glad to know that! Now, which ones ae the "better brands"?
Sorry, but I dislike mentioning particular brand names as it sounds like a product endorsement which I try not to do. That said, the brands that are sold by manufacturers of pond equipment are usually the better quality foam.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, but I dislike mentioning particular brand names as it sounds like a product endorsement which I try not to do. That said, the brands that are sold by manufacturers of pond equipment are usually the better quality foam.
So, NOT what they sell at Home Depot.....

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So, NOT what they sell at Home Depot.....
I may be reluctant to endorse a product, but I have no such reluctance in evaluating a product. Great Stuff may be good when used in the building trade, but it borders on junk when used in waterfall construction. It expands too much and is a hideous color that just becomes more hideous as time passes.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I may be reluctant to endorse a product, but I have no such reluctance in evaluating a product. Great Stuff may be good when used in the building trade, but it borders on junk when used in waterfall construction. It expands too much and is a hideous color that just becomes more hideous as time passes.
But Home Depot does sell a waterfall foam -- I don't think it's Great Stuff brand.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used the stuff from hd it did fine. It has been out there for 3 years or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have a couple cans of black waterfall foam that are expired. Think its safe to try and use? Never been opened.

Ask a Question