landscaping koi pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, i recently finished the major details of my pond construction. After finishing i realized there's far too much tarp showing for my liking and i was wondering how others would go about solving this problem. Thanks ahead for any advice!
ps i need to add more water but even then, the tarp is badly noticable.
lT1ix2E.jpg

qUYmEOP.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Various ways to do it depending on what you want it to be.

Ie leave as is rock the entire pond with various sizes of river cobble.

OR

Dig the sides a little steeper instead of the gentle slope. Then dig a shelf a foot or so wide at the outer perimeter and add rock there to hide the liner. Make shoes the shelf us below the intended high water level. It will also add some more water volume to your pond. These are just a couple ways to do it and completely hide the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Thursday9000 I agree with @Jhn that your best bet is probably to dig the sides out a little deeper. It's hard to tell in your picture but the pond doesn't appear to be very deep at all in its current state. Do you have dimensions for us like length, width, depth and approximately how many gallons the pond holds?? Those numbers would give us a better idea of what you're working with and what changes you could possibly make.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree about digging the sides deeper. This would give you more volume for your fish.

How big is the pond right now (gallons)? Your heading said “koi pond,” but it doesn’t look like it’s big enough (depth, for sure) for koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... how big is this exactly? Your post title says "koi pond" but this doesn't really look like it would even hold goldfish. If you re-dug your edges and made them straighter (i.e., more up and down rather than sloping outward), you could both hide the liner better and add more water.

This might seem like an intrusive question, but why would you go to the trouble of building a pond and then cover most of it with a bridge? And are those square dancing chickens?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond is 6 1/2 feet by 6 feey and around 1 1/2 feet deep. It gets deep in the middle under the bridge. Im thinking about adding stone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Stone where? And also don't miss the point about this pond being far too small for koi. Goldfish would be OK. Koi are too big.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plant creeping plants like phlox .I planted mine over 7 years ago and only had 3 plants of each color .Creeping jenny works also and snow in winter
100_3618.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Thursday9000 I don’t think you mentioned where you live...... That info is helpful to us because we might have members who live in the same “planting zone,” and they can often give good advice when it comes to seasonal issues.

Ask a Question