Large canna question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When i planted this canna i had no idea it would get this big about 4ft. It is planted in an 8" pot and the roots are growing out of the bottom of the pot. It looks like there are three of them. When should i separate them?

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can divide them anytime. But you do need to cut the foliage down to do it so I'd wait until they were done flowering. It'll be a few weeks before you'll have flowers again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I cut them all the way down to just below the first set of leaves. You'll have about 6 inches or so of stem left. The main purpose is so the plant will put energy into the tuber and developing new roots and not trying to support the existing foliage.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It should be fine, although I am not really up on canna, but I moved some from my bog into a planting bed. It overwintered there and came back this spring. It doesn’t do quite as well as the canna in the bog, but it is doing fine.

I tend to just experiment with plants sometimes, to see where I can get them to grow, if they die where I put them....lesson learned not to plant them in that spot anymore.

Ask a Question