Large goldfish aquariums

Discussion in 'Indoor tanks' started by MitchM, Jun 6, 2015.

1. MitchM

MitchM

Can anyone recommend some sites that show large aquariums that have goldfish as the main fish?
    I'm thinking of changing over my 600g reef tank to a cold freshwater display.

MitchM, Jun 6, 2015
    Dave 54 and Priscilla like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. MitchM

bettasngoldfish Maria

Wow, You have a six hundred gallon tank?! That's huge! You could have some nice fancy goldfish in a tank that size.

Check out Kokos goldfish forum. They have been around for some time and know their stuff.

bettasngoldfish, Jun 7, 2015
    Dave 54 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MitchM

MitchM

Thank you.:)

MitchM, Jun 7, 2015
    Dave 54 likes this.
  4. MitchM

Dave 54

Mitch thats even more water than I had my koi in when they were living indoors, You could do anything with it from keeping goldfish to keeping butterfly koi in there even .
    What ever you do though I'd love to see some photo's of it

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 7, 2015
    MitchM likes this.
  5. MitchM

MitchM

Will do Dave.
    Haven't decided yet. My wife is not a fan of koi, but she said that about aquariums in general before. Now she definitely has her favorite fish in some of my other tanks.

MitchM, Jun 7, 2015
  6. MitchM

HARO Pondcrastinator

Hell, that's more water than half the PONDS I've seen!! :D
    John

HARO, Jun 7, 2015
  7. MitchM

MitchM

I really believe that you have a much more stable water system with bigger aquariums, so I always try to get the biggest I have room for.
    Then I stock them very lightly. Less trouble that way, I find.:)

MitchM, Jun 7, 2015
    HARO likes this.
  8. MitchM

Dave 54

Mitch I totally agree with your take on this however what size filtration are you running fluvel FX5 or 6 ?

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 7, 2015
  9. MitchM

bettasngoldfish Maria

I don't believe I have ever seen a tank that large except maybe at the local aquarium or zoo

I don't have flooring to support anything larger than my fifty five. Maybe I could get away with a seventy five gallon. Although I'm sure hubby would have something to say about that....

I'm still trying to slowly make him believe /agree to a larger pond.

bettasngoldfish, Jun 7, 2015
  10. MitchM

MitchM

Dave, I'm usng an FX5 and Eheim pro3 on my planted 320 gallon but I'm not really a fan of canister filters. I'm planning on changing those over to a sump filter. On the saltwater tank I used a sump with a 200 micron filter sock. I find using the sock much easier to clean.

Maria, we have concrete floors, so weight is not a problem.

MitchM, Jun 7, 2015
  11. MitchM

Dave 54

Yes the same here our floors had to be able to take over One Imperial Tonne of water glass wood etc sitting on it.
    With floorboards everything would have been seen to drop right through it.
    As it would go right through them there would be no way to spread the load enough for it to be supported "normally by use of flag stones".
    So you could say Maria that we acctually picked the house around the tank....
    Mitch I was a fan of the FX5 the Pro III had design issues with the dis-connect connect device and they could eventually become stuck which would mean sanding the whole lid back to ehiem .

Dave

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Dave 54, Jun 14, 2015
    MitchM likes this.
  12. MitchM

Mucky_Waters

Years ago I had a 100 g tank with 11 very large fantail goldfish in it. It was mesmerizing watching them swim around in there. Sorry, no pictures or video, that was before the digital age, but sometime after the stone age.
    Have you posted any pictures of this reef tank?

Mucky_Waters, Jun 14, 2015
  13. MitchM

MitchM

No pictures.
    Years ago I took a course on marine invertebrate zooology, so I tried to set up a proper deep sand bed system but I found it was too difficult to get the proper sized sand in Canada and even more difficult to obtain the various organisms to populate it.
    I managed to set it up with a great tidal flow circulation, but it wasn't a showcase tank that most people seem to like. I'm not a fan of the typical fruitstand type reef tank that mixes various corals from different reef zones.

I do have a build thread on a Canadian reef board, but I haven't updated it in quite a while.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    MitchM, Jun 14, 2015
  14. MitchM

Dave 54

Mitch look no further than our own site for a large indoor aquarium housing koi , it all depends what you want to do with the tank Mitch .
    We originally used to landsccape and have large plants in the tank, then the koi grew and grew .
    A 22" koi can trah plants and even moved the large stones used in landscaping "in the end we used them to burry the airstones with .
    Weve already touched on the suject of filters you have your own ideas but my friend if I can help you get it done in any way I will because I'm dying to see it finished as I think are others :happy:

Dave

Attached Files:

Dave 54, Jun 14, 2015
    MitchM likes this.
  15. MitchM

MitchM

MitchM, Jun 17, 2015
  16. MitchM

Linus_Cello

Aren't goldfish notorious diggers? You'll have soil excavated from under the gravel. If you want to use soil, try it in a pot with gravel on top.

Linus_Cello, Jun 18, 2015
  17. MitchM

MitchM

Yes, that's why I'm thinking a fancy variety - maybe they are not as agressive with digging.
    - plus, Goldfish seem to like dirtier conditions, so maybe more of a natural habitat for them.

I'm thinking an inch of gravel on top of an inch of soil.
    -still looking into it.

MitchM, Jun 18, 2015
  18. MitchM

Dave 54

I'd never put soil into an Aquarium Mitch to dran dirty as all fish will grub up for food my friend , you would be far better just having a layer of gravel , are you by the way going to place undergravel filtration ?
    If so I recomend you the slot together variety made by Kagen if you can get it ?
    You know as I do a clean tank is pleaing to the eye , whlist one that remains dirty well say no more :(
    Not mentioning just how much soil will end up in your filters

Dave

Dave 54, Jun 19, 2015
  19. MitchM

MitchM

Yes, I know Dave.:)
    I think you and I have different interests in our aquatic world. You like the fish and I like the substrate.:)
    (my wife prefers fish too)
    I really like to see them both benefit each other.

I actually have a hard time looking at your indoor aquarium. It has so many fish in such a small space, it seems to me that there had to be an elevated level of stress for them. I know you care passionately for your fish though.
    Just as you would never put soil in an aquarium, I would never put that many fish in an aquarium as you had.

I will not be using an undergravel filter. The idea is to have a high plant population and a low fish population.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    MitchM, Jun 19, 2015
    HARO likes this.
  20. MitchM

Dave 54

I missed this Mitch and feel I must answer your critism of keeping koi behind glass and I can do this quite simply by saying that no fish with elevated stress levels would live to 28 years, 22 of them behind glass and still be going strongly.
    Others weve had 15 and 10 years again spending life behind glass again fish with elevated stress levels would not be alive today had there been stress to the levels you are talking about , we did loose one koi aged 27 years of age but in the pond... of old age:cry:
    Our health official had he had any issues with our koi whilst behind glass would have told us so :)
    As you can see from the photo's they are in immaculate condition :)
    Nuff said my friend :happy:;)

Dave

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Dave 54, Jun 29, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question