Large goldfish aquariums

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Can anyone recommend some sites that show large aquariums that have goldfish as the main fish?
I'm thinking of changing over my 600g reef tank to a cold freshwater display.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, You have a six hundred gallon tank?! That's huge! You could have some nice fancy goldfish in a tank that size.

Check out Kokos goldfish forum. They have been around for some time and know their stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mitch thats even more water than I had my koi in when they were living indoors, You could do anything with it from keeping goldfish to keeping butterfly koi in there even .
What ever you do though I'd love to see some photo's of it

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Will do Dave.
Haven't decided yet. My wife is not a fan of koi, but she said that about aquariums in general before. Now she definitely has her favorite fish in some of my other tanks.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mitch thats even more water than I had my koi in when they were living indoors, You could do anything with it from keeping goldfish to keeping butterfly koi in there even .
What ever you do though I'd love to see some photo's of it

Dave
Hell, that's more water than half the PONDS I've seen!! :D
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I really believe that you have a much more stable water system with bigger aquariums, so I always try to get the biggest I have room for.
Then I stock them very lightly. Less trouble that way, I find.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I really believe that you have a much more stable water system with bigger aquariums, so I always try to get the biggest I have room for.
Then I stock them very lightly. Less trouble that way, I find.:)
Mitch I totally agree with your take on this however what size filtration are you running fluvel FX5 or 6 ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't believe I have ever seen a tank that large except maybe at the local aquarium or zoo

I don't have flooring to support anything larger than my fifty five. Maybe I could get away with a seventy five gallon. Although I'm sure hubby would have something to say about that....

I'm still trying to slowly make him believe /agree to a larger pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Dave, I'm usng an FX5 and Eheim pro3 on my planted 320 gallon but I'm not really a fan of canister filters. I'm planning on changing those over to a sump filter. On the saltwater tank I used a sump with a 200 micron filter sock. I find using the sock much easier to clean.

Maria, we have concrete floors, so weight is not a problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, I'm usng an FX5 and Eheim pro3 on my planted 320 gallon but I'm not really a fan of canister filters. I'm planning on changing those over to a sump filter. On the saltwater tank I used a sump with a 200 micron filter sock. I find using the sock much easier to clean.

Maria, we have concrete floors, so weight is not a problem.
Yes the same here our floors had to be able to take over One Imperial Tonne of water glass wood etc sitting on it.
With floorboards everything would have been seen to drop right through it.
As it would go right through them there would be no way to spread the load enough for it to be supported "normally by use of flag stones".
So you could say Maria that we acctually picked the house around the tank....
Mitch I was a fan of the FX5 the Pro III had design issues with the dis-connect connect device and they could eventually become stuck which would mean sanding the whole lid back to ehiem .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some sites that show large aquariums that have goldfish as the main fish?
I'm thinking of changing over my 600g reef tank to a cold freshwater display.

Years ago I had a 100 g tank with 11 very large fantail goldfish in it. It was mesmerizing watching them swim around in there. Sorry, no pictures or video, that was before the digital age, but sometime after the stone age.
Have you posted any pictures of this reef tank?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No pictures.
Years ago I took a course on marine invertebrate zooology, so I tried to set up a proper deep sand bed system but I found it was too difficult to get the proper sized sand in Canada and even more difficult to obtain the various organisms to populate it.
I managed to set it up with a great tidal flow circulation, but it wasn't a showcase tank that most people seem to like. I'm not a fan of the typical fruitstand type reef tank that mixes various corals from different reef zones.

I do have a build thread on a Canadian reef board, but I haven't updated it in quite a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
No pictures.
Years ago I took a course on marine invertebrate zooology, so I tried to set up a proper deep sand bed system but I found it was too difficult to get the proper sized sand in Canada and even more difficult to obtain the various organisms to populate it.
I managed to set it up with a great tidal flow circulation, but it wasn't a showcase tank that most people seem to like. I'm not a fan of the typical fruitstand type reef tank that mixes various corals from different reef zones.

I do have a build thread on a Canadian reef board, but I haven't updated it in quite a while.
Mitch look no further than our own site for a large indoor aquarium housing koi , it all depends what you want to do with the tank Mitch .
We originally used to landsccape and have large plants in the tank, then the koi grew and grew .
A 22" koi can trah plants and even moved the large stones used in landscaping "in the end we used them to burry the airstones with .
Weve already touched on the suject of filters you have your own ideas but my friend if I can help you get it done in any way I will because I'm dying to see it finished as I think are others :happy:

Dave

Attachments

• dandv03.jpg
    dandv03.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 374
  • dandv01.jpg
    dandv01.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 326
  • dandv02.jpg
    dandv02.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 373

Ask a Question