Large koi vs medium goldfish?

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
The pond I am taking over has rather large koi. My daughter has pleaded to be able to have black moor goldfish. I personally hate bubble eyes... but to each their own.

So... will the koi try and eat a decent sized (3-4 inch) fancy tailed goldfish? If I provide hiding spots would it help? Can someone here actually convince a 13 year old teen that knows everything that a black pond fish that small is not going to be a focal point?

I do suppose I could always set up an aquarium in her bedroom... but it would be one more pet in the house. We already have a zoo... to the point that by dear (and infinately patient) boyfriend is ready to go nuts. LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
koi only eat fry until they are recognisable as fish, if they are over an inch you should be fine. 3 or 4 inches no worries!!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Really? I find that rather facinating! (Then again, with moving and all, sanity is taking a complete vacation and I am very easily amused)

Reaction score
I have heard that fancy goldfish in a pond will have a hard time competing for food with sleek bodied koi or goldfish. Also that they are not as hardy as normal bodied goldfish.
Try the fancy goldfish in the pond and if it doesn't work out set up the aquarium.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is enough spectrum in Koi that mixing them with Goldfish makes little sense. I once had both and after seeing the difference between the two, I settled for Koi. That said, if you want both, the Goldfish will find a way to eat, regardless of the speed of your Koi. Most ponds have enough natural food.
My baby Koi that I have put into the pond without feeding them, have grown faster than the several thousand I have been feeding in tanks.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
There is enough spectrum in Koi that mixing them with Goldfish makes little sense. I once had both and after seeing the difference between the two, I settled for Koi. That said, if you want both, the Goldfish will find a way to eat, regardless of the speed of your Koi. Most ponds have enough natural food.
My baby Koi that I have put into the pond without feeding them, have grown faster than the several thousand I have been feeding in tanks.

I went an entire year without feeding the fish in our first pond. Was 25 - 30 goldfish and 3-5 koi. They find stuff to eat. Some say it's best not to feed your pond fish, since they will then eat the algae. I am however, feeding for growth.

One thing about goldfish, they will reproduce ... a lot. I opted for NO goldfish in my new pond. Just my personal preference.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
I think we may opt to put an aboveground, 200 gallon or so, goldfish pool in the backyard. I am thinking something that is 3 foot tall, 3 foot in diamether, with a steep multi-tiered waterfall in the back and seating around the perimeter. Kind of like a wishing well sort of thing. Perhaps even IN the greenhouse.

Ask a Question