Large Lilly pads

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 2000 gallon pond roughly 11feet by 12. New York based, so winters are tough and the pond gets shut down. I have too many Lilly’s and would like to reduce drastically. Anybody know anything about large lillies? Maybe one or two big ones to replace what I have?
Also other than cutting them how do I get rid of what I have that won’t hurt the koi?
Thanks all!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture

Attachments

• CA42E330-0845-4610-A065-66CC97FC6583.jpeg
    CA42E330-0845-4610-A065-66CC97FC6583.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a 2000 gallon pond roughly 11feet by 12. New York based, so winters are tough and the pond gets shut down. I have too many Lilly’s and would like to reduce drastically. Anybody know anything about large lillies? Maybe one or two big ones to replace what I have?
Also other than cutting them how do I get rid of what I have that won’t hurt the koi?
Thanks all!
basically, pull them up, take them out, cut off tubers beyond the growing points, repot and replace, or throw out the quantity you think is too much. As far as size of lilies/leaves, there ARE miniatures--just do a google search. Most water lilies (hardy) can take up to 6' of surface are if healthy and mature. The miniatures take up half that space but over time, as any lily multiplies, you will have to do some grooming and thinning. The tropical versions take up more spade and have even larger leaves but won't be hardy to your area.

smilie-sword-twirl-masked.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks all!

Same advice as brokensword. I'm in New York also. I cut mine back in late fall when I see they are dying back. If they are in pots, drop them into the bottom of the pond. I have 4 water lilies because I like variety - but I only buy ones that don't get too large. There are minis as mentioned. There are also very large lilies - but personally I think those are cumbersome to maintain if you have a smaller pond. And they crowd out any other plants. I've experimented with lotus but never had much luck with them, but that's another thought if you're looking for BIG. Do some internet searching this winter to see what appeals to you. I'm not sure what you mean with your comment about the koi. You have to cut the lilies back or they will decay and turn to mush. It will be a nasty mess come spring. Leaving them to decay in the pond wouldn't be pleasant for the koi.

Ask a Question