Large Pond and Interested in Waterfall

Reaction score
We built our own home out in the country a few years ago and had a pond put in. Not exactly sure on how many gallons but i would guess around 40' by 20'-30' (Shaped like an L). Its around 6-7 feet deep in the biggest part. We have lots of goldfish (shebunkins etc.) and of course frogs. We now are interested in building a watterfall on one end of it and need some good starting tips on where to start. Most of the ponds you see with waterfalls are small and have liner. This is a natural pond. Anything at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The build would still be the same but bigger
You want to be able to see the water fall and here the sound

Reaction score
I have a natural pond as well. Here is mine. This is from last year and is still very, very much a work in progress. I'll try to post some resent photo's but the falls are basicly unchange from this photo. Dave is correct, you still want to utilize a liner and waterfall foam. Mine is planned to have a total of a 7' fall over multiple tiers and will be running mine around 4000gph. My maximum width of my falls will be around 30"-36". Currently I only have the bottom tier done as I've shifted to other project around the pond but will be getting to it within the next few months.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpg
    IMG_0637.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 330
Reaction score
I have always used the rule of thumb of 100 GPH per 1" of waterfall width. This gives a good flow of water over the falls. Do you want a cascade or a big fall? Make sure you account for head pressure, pipe and elbow resistance, etc...

Reaction score
Went out and took some updated photo's. Been a while since I've taken any progress pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
That is gonna look awesome when finished!

As for the original post, try and place it in a location that is visible on all parts of the pond. Size is probably going to your issue as it will need to be pretty big to be noticeable (5 foot high seems goo, and may be 3 foot wide?) There is a house near me that has a setup similar to yours and theirs is about those dimensions and cascade into three points when it hits the water (3 different falls).

Ask a Question