Large scales (or so it seems)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have an all orange koi with what I like to call armor scales lol... it seems to have very large scales and I have never seen it in other pics even when googling. Can someone please help me figure out what I am looking at here? The scales extend down lower than others I have seen. I had to color enhance the pic to remove the glare from the sky out of the water.

Oh yeah... the koi with the white and orange has some very very sparkly scales on its forehead that look like diamonds. I only see it when the light hits it just right and usually its face has to be out of the water.

gallery_4387_267_15122.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
These koi go by various names, including mirror koi, German koi, and Doitsu koi (the Japanese version of "Deutsche", or German.) You should be able to find more if you Google these terms. BTW, carp (and koi) also come in scaleless versions, or leather carp (koi).
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I did not know it was also considered a Doitsu... thought it would need to have those 2 rows of scales on its back to be called one of those. Thanks for your help! I will google some more. :)

Reaction score
Very pretty:) I have a couple with scales like your guy, and a few a little bit different that I think are still Doitsu.

(Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

Sorry, not the best pic... it is overcast today. The body color is a pale powder blue. Scales are deep blue/black to silvery... You can see most of the scales in this pic, and then the rest is scaleless/smooth...

Attachments

• DSCN4594.JPG
    DSCN4594.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 432

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That is correct. They are both considered Doitsu. My favorite type! This is a smooth skin version, also my favorite koi pic I might add. If there is one fish I could own this one is at the top of my WISH list.

Attachments

• Doitsu sanke.jpg
    Doitsu sanke.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Thanks Larkin... I want more of him too... enough so that we will dig a small pond for HIM in the spring... We have TWO young ladies who want to be his room mates... One is near identical to him (same color and scale pattern), but she is only about 13-14" now. The other, is VERY similar is color, but scaleless.

He is also one of the dads to our group spawning in QT, with a Hana Shusui. I have 4 white babies that I am guessing MAY be his coloring, but time will tell. They are only a bit over an inch now.

Ask a Question