"Late" day blooming lily

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Does anyone have a recommendation for a variety of lily that blooms late in the day? My lilies are done blooming by the time I get off work. I prefer not to get a night blooming lily for a couple of reasons: First, I would rather have hardy lily, we are zone 3-4ish. Second, it looks as though night blooming lilies bloom at dusk. Where I live, dusk is about 10:15 pm in the summer. I would miss night-blooming lilies as well. I would like to have a lily that blooms later in the day and stays open into the evening.
Any advice is appreciated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I feel your pain. I miss most of my blooms too due to work also. My wife works from home so she sees most of the blooms. My best chance is on the weekend or if I finish a job early. Sorry I do not know of any that bloom in that time frame.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I feel your pain - my husband is retired and home all day and sends me pictures of my lilies blooming while I'm at work. I don't know of any that bloom later in the day. Mine seem to bloom as they are hit by the sun as it moves across the pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I’ve had night blooming lilies in the past, they don’t necessarily open at dusk. They can open as early as 4-5pm at least the ones I had.

I quit keeping them though as I got tired of trying to overwinter them or pulling their pots out at the end of summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have 2 suggestions, but they are both tropical lilies. (Pictures are from www.tricker.com if you are interested in purchasing)

#1: Dauben - Pygmy Lily is a great choice. It can be as small or as big as you want it depending on the size planter you put it in and they bloom well into cold weather. Mine bloomed all the way into December this year. I'm in Texas of course, but still it was 40-50F and sending up new blooms. These stay open ALL DAY. Blooms first thing in the morning and are the last to close in the evening. I find they are more white than blue as shown in the picture but if you give them enough sun they tend to show off a little bit more blue pigmentation.

upload_2018-4-27_10-41-51.png

#2: Night bloomers don't always open late in the day as "jhn" has stated. I have Sir Galahads and Emily Grant Hutchings night bloomers. The Sir Galahads begin to open shortly after I get home, 2-3 hours before dusk, from work if its an overcast day. and stay open well into the morning as my pond gets morning shade so I can enjoy them before leaving for work as well. These blooms are also HUGE. (If you are interested in either of the night blooming lilies, I have well over a dozen rhizomes that I split out from mine that we could work something out with. Just send me a PM)

upload_2018-4-27_10-34-46.png
upload_2018-4-27_10-36-28.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Please pardon a minor hijack, but Addy1 you mentioned one time a particular number for lily fertilizer. I seem to remember no matter what the other numbers are, the middle number wants to be 30? ie, XX-30-XX? Is "30" the correct number?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I aim for a higher middle number, the first, nitrogen is for plant growth, the second phosphorus and the third potassium are for the fruit, flowers, roots. I have read a higher phosphorus is good for flowers. So I tend to use ones with a higher middle number.

Ask a Question