Late spawners

Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone that has little ones swimming around. I see all these posts about koi spawning in April and May. Mine just started yesterday. Several are spawning for the first time this year. They were hatched in the pond 3 years ago and are now laying their own eggs. I moved some of eggs to the goldfish pond since it does not have a skimmer and less fish to eat the eggs. I have too many koi anyway and are slowly giving some away. But I do like seeing the little ones grow. The goldfish in the other pond have been spawning for a month now, don't know why the koi took so long.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a pair spawn for a second time this year ! they hatched last monday

Reaction score
Just looked at the eggs I moved and most are turning white. The ones I left in the koi pond, I blocked so the fish could not get to them, those are also turning white. I guess they were not fertilized with the frenzy of laying eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have babies this year. Maybe more than I really wanted and goldies are still spawning!

Reaction score
Caught two babies in the koi pond and moved them to the goldfish pond and saw some new babies already in the goldfish pond. Hoping they are koi and they survive.

Reaction score
I noticed the newly hatched koi are different colors. Most seem to be a greenish color while two were white and one bright yellow. I am hoping at least one will be a butterfly. I don't know if any of the butterfly were in on the spawning.

Reaction score
Well, none of the koi that hatched are anywhere to be seen. I have seen 3 small black goldfish but not koi. Oh well, I do have a lot of baby toads and frogs this year. Maybe next year.

Ask a Question