late string algae bloom

Reaction score
hi all,

out here in philly and just noticed today that i am having another string algae bloom. i used tetra algae clear twice during the summer to clear it up and was wondering if the coming colder temps will kill the algae and i should just wait it out?

i dont like to use chemicals

any advice would be great

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will die off as it gets colder. You could wait it out. Just remove excess with a toilet brush, that will help you out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's probably because we had a cold snap here where the air temps went down to 32F(0C) which I think nailed the lillies and most of the plants that grew out of the water unless they were year round plants. The past week it's warmed up into the 60's and 70's. My water temps are back up in the mid 60's after having dropped to about 47F. Since a lot of the plants have died back or at least were hurt by the cold, and the temps climbed back up, you could very easily see an algae bloom. But it won't last. You can let it die back in a few weeks when the temps drop again or do as Addy said and remove some excess.

Craig

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We got hit with 27 degrees, knocked a few plants out, the lilies did fine. They are blooming again. The ground flowers are growing new leaves and putting out flowers, seems they are confused.

But at least no algae showed up, I still have a lot of plants doing fine in the pond and bog. to help keep it at bay.

Ask a Question