Lawn clippings...urgh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
As many of you know my pond is only weeks old so please forgive the title. I noticed I had small brown worm like things all over the bottom of my fishless plantless new pond. I could not figure out what it was so moved on to testing the water, finishing the bog and adding plants. Yesterday I was at the pond working on the new upper pond when my neighbors lawn guy came through with a blower and I realized my mysterious brown things were rotting grass clippings blown in from next door. The surface of my ponds were quickly coated with floating bits of grass. They found their way into the skimmer and half were pumped into the bog and half were pumped to the waterfall. From the waterfall the drifted down and settled on the bottom.
Now my question. Since I will not be able to stop the blowing activity next door, how will this impact my pond and should I be doing anything different knowing it will get this present of organic material whenever the wind blows in my direction.
Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 155
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Already have a fence. The wind just blows it up and over. I guess my shubunkins will have to be from Hardy stock.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awe man, I don't know what to say then. Can you talk to the neighbor and ask them to not blow yard debris in your direction?

I had an issue a few years ago where my neighbor sprayed a chemical on the fence line (very close to my pond) and then it rained. I lost every fish in my pond. Of course I can't prove what happened but my fish (and water) were healthy prior to the spraying. I have since restocked the pond. But I've also had a discussion with the neighbor asking them nicely to not spray the area where my pond is again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You could set up a sail/ sheet type cover to prevent the clippings from getting to your pond. I’m glad I live in the country, but I have to worry about farm overspray, which is just as bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wonder if you could plant some shrubbery along the fence - something that would fill in somewhat quickly? It might help a little. Sorry the neighbor is a Grumpus. Maybe you could talk to the head guy with the landscapers. Perhaps they could pick up the clippings - or at least drive the mower in such a way that the clippings don't shoot right at your pond. That is frustrating!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions. We will try to catch the lawn guy and ask him not to point his gas powered blower towards our house when he is cleaning up. Might work for awhile. Since that neighbor does the minimum she probably doesn’t fertilizer/bug spray that much. Also going to talk with our bug guy who incidentally owns a koi pond, to be careful in her yard too. Hope the problem is not and does not get serious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe a twelve to eighteen inch tall dry stack brick/block wall about ten feet or so long which would act as a reminder to the gardener and also limit the clippings from entering the pond if he forgets or doesn't care. You could use decorative landscape wall block found at one of the home improvement centers. No mortar necessary and easy to modify or move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Here is view toward where the grass clippings come from. Neighborhood dictates type of fences, fence color and height. Aside from planting some shrubs, which we are going to add, not much more can be done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Wow, how inconsiderate of your neighbour.
Add an airstone/air diaphragm or 2 to help your pond bacteria digest that organic material.
If you don't like the appearance of running airstones, put them on a timer to run only at night.

Ask a Question