JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My only thought is that I would be nervous about cutting grass next to the pond knowing the critters that could be hidden in the grass.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I agree with Sunshine - grass clippings in the pond could contribute to excessive algae. If it's a small area and you bag the grass, I suppose you'll be OK. We have a patch of grass by our skimmer box and I have to be careful to clean up any stray clippings that blow onto the skimmer's flagstone lid or the pond's shore. I never fertilize there either, for fear of runoff contributing to algae blooms too. It looks great though!(y)

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a Honda rear discharge push mower, if you're asking me, Diesel. It's relatively light and I always use the grass catcher bag to collect the clippings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Whoops sorry I was asking BigLou! A push mower bagged or side discharged would be fine but mulching would make a mess in the pond. And I don't know that I'd want to risk a heavy rider mower collapsing the edge of the pond. I put my $9000, 1100 pound mower into a pond once. It was awesome...
This post is worth nothing without pictures :) Sounds like someone has or had a nice zero turn mower. I own a PZ 54" Husqvarna Zero turn with bagger, awesome machine. I think I would cry if it was in the pond for many reasons

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I've put my 60" Country clipper in the pond more times than I can count. Not even a big issue anymore. It's usually just a wheel that has gotten wet from getting a little to close to the edge and it slides into the edge of the pond. Today was a little different, was cutting grass and I felt the ground move and before I could even re-act, The mower was in a 7' x 10' sink hole. I was able to pull it out with the tractor without any damage. After I got it out I looked down in one of the larger openings and the hole must be 6-7' deep! Now I'm wondering, who do you contact to investigate a sink hole?

Reaction score
LOL, I've put my 60" Country clipper in the pond more times than I can count. Not even a big issue anymore. It's usually just a wheel that has gotten wet from getting a little to close to the edge and it slides into the edge of the pond. Today was a little different, was cutting grass and I felt the ground move and before I could even re-act, The mower was in a 7' x 10' sink hole. I was able to pull it out with the tractor without any damage. After I got it out I looked down in one of the larger openings and the hole must be 6-7' deep! Now I'm wondering, who do you contact to investigate a sink hole?
No-one you just put a liner in it and fill it with water!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Really? spend a few hundred $$ on a liner that may disappear into the earth? Not a smart move IMO. I'm actually quite concerned as the sink hole is only about 100 yards from my house and it's on top of the same hill ridge the house sits on.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
There are two areas where I would like our lawn grass to grow to the ponds slightly elevated edge. The grass would replace flat stones.

Your thoughts please!

The only grass I have left in my back yard is mondo grass ,
I have some growing along one ponds edge,

so no good mower stories here

Ask a Question