Laying by the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! That looks cold! We get some bad snow storms in April from time to time but nothing that ever sticks. Its just too warm. Poor duckies.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bah! I don't want any dirty ducks in my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Rob give them a nice warm blankie to lay on ................... geez! Oh and plug in a heater too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would like to have ducks, but the hungry herons make me keep the pond netted. They visited everyday for two years until I finally netted the pond. Eating up fish no matter what I did.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
Just found these spring visitors today enjoying the rain. I've seem lots of opinions pro and con for ducks. What am I getting into? Messy? One of the joys of adding this feature is attracting wildlife.

Attachments

• 20160418_102854.jpg
    20160418_102854.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@dpowell

As tbendl said, I do get ducks every year. I have had no issues at all with them. Some times they say all day, sometimes minutes. Last year we had as many as 9 at once. For the most part just 2 visit consistently. They will eat some of the plants, nothing crazy but a little pruning does go on. All my fish do great with them. I do have 4 bio filters so I am sure that helps and I have a high water turnover. I personally let them stay. I actually enjoy them. One of the females let me feed her out of my hand. They never had babies here but bring them by once they are a bit older. I had geese just one day and they never returned. The geese were very messy. I also had a couple Lilly pads rip when they landed into the pond but again minor damage. Hope this helps and you enjoy the new visitors. Any questions please ask.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
At this point I'm going to be grateful for anything that wanders in. I'm hoping for some frogs and maybe a turtle or two as well, but I'll take what I get. The first "uninvited guest" to my pond party was a HUGE, like 3 inches long, beetle-looking thing with really long legs. The ducks are much cuter.

Ask a Question