Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Now note the caveat that my only expertise is in caring for turtles but I am an amateur pond keeper but I have realized that (in my opinion) the most important and most often ignored must when it comes to good results is patience and trust. Patience to allow your pond to go through the natural cycle and trust that the cycle will be successful and beneficial.
Example: Bi-Filtration which is really simple in mechanics yet complex and spontaneous to some degree in biological progression. Now with my indoor turtles I have learnt that the best way to ruin the environment is to intervene in the cycles of among other things, the filtration. I use a Fluval 306 and a 18 Watt UV-Sterilizer in my environments and have perfect water clarity and chemical makeup. But, if I were to change the filter every 2 weeks instead of my recommended 4 I would ruin the filtration and destroy most of that efficacy. Does anyone more learned in koi ponds etc agree? or have similar ideas?

Reaction score
"patience and trust" ????
Are we talking about proper pond maintenance, or a successful marriage?
Hmmm? Well I guess you could be on to something, I'm not sure which is higher maintenance, my wife or my pond.
One thing I know for sure though, I bought plenty of flowers for my pond and I'm still not getting any.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Hmmm? Well I guess you could be on to something, I'm not sure which is higher maintenance, my wife or my pond.
One thing I know for sure though, I bought plenty of flowers for my pond and I'm still not getting any.
Touche lol

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Now note the caveat that my only expertise is in caring for turtles but I am an amateur pond keeper but I have realized that (in my opinion) the most important and most often ignored must when it comes to good results is patience and trust. Patience to allow your pond to go through the natural cycle and trust that the cycle will be successful and beneficial.
Example: Bi-Filtration which is really simple in mechanics yet complex and spontaneous to some degree in biological progression. Now with my indoor turtles I have learnt that the best way to ruin the environment is to intervene in the cycles of among other things, the filtration. I use a Fluval 306 and a 18 Watt UV-Sterilizer in my environments and have perfect water clarity and chemical makeup. But, if I were to change the filter every 2 weeks instead of my recommended 4 I would ruin the filtration and destroy most of that efficacy. Does anyone more learned in koi ponds etc agree? or have similar ideas?
Why would you want to double you're maintenance if no benefit comes from it? Getting that initial cycle may take longer than 'normal' that's where the patience and trust come in. I've used some healthy pond water to jump start an aquarium before with good results.

Reaction score
You're doing it wrong then. I'm getting plenty... LOL
I probably am doing it wrong,,, How do I get some then?

Ask a Question