Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, opinions everyone.....?

I have been given the opportunity to apply for an Assistant Scout Master position in our troop. We have several ASM's already, so basically I would be doing what I already (unofficially) do now as a Committee Member, but with the authority (and responsibility) of the position's title to back me up.

BTW, it's a volunteer position. The only payment is knowing that I'm doing something to make a difference!

So.....?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since you are already carrying out the duties of ASM unofficially, then the performance of these duties are not a requirement of your current position as a Committee Member. If you become an ASM, they will be.
So, the questions that you need to answer are:
Do you want the assigned responsibilities of ASM?
Do you have the time to take on these additional required duties?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
The questions Meyer asked are very good ones. With this official position would you become inundated with additional tasks? This goes along with Meyer's time concern. How will it impact your family? On the positive side you have always amazed me with your generousity and caring outlook for scouting.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan @Big Lou As it stands now, with my experience, I am an asset and resource to the troop since most adult leaders leave as soon as their sons age-out at 18. I wouldn't be doing really anything different from what I already do, so the time factor isn't an issue. In fact, one short-coming in our troop is that the leadership positions aren't utilized like they could be, and I'd like to see that change, and to see more delegation. For example, if a camp out is canceled "because the Scout Master had other plans....." The boys are the victims, when there are other competent (and trained) adults & adult leaders who could have taken over -- there's no rule that says the SM has to attend every activity (though in our troop, there seems to be a disconnect...).

I already participate in at least 75% of all troop activities, and when I'm not doing something with the troop, I'm doing something with OA. And as far as the responsibilities go, again, I'm already assuming those more times than not. I didn't realize it until a meeting last night, but some people thought I was an ASM, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
As a committee member, do you enjoy doing board of reviews for rank advancement? I aslway have enjoyed talking to the boys as they advance ib rank. as an ASM, you won't be able to sit and a board any longer. I have always been a commitee member with Boy Scouts but was a den leader with the Cubs. Follow your heart.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As a committee member, do you enjoy doing board of reviews for rank advancement? I aslway have enjoyed talking to the boys as they advance ib rank. as an ASM, you won't be able to sit and a board any longer. I have always been a commitee member with Boy Scouts but was a den leader with the Cubs. Follow your heart.
Actually, an ASM can sit on a BOR, but the SM cannot (except as an observer -- this came up at a committee meeting last night). Or "Unit Leader," as it's written in the Guide To Advancement. (But if you know something I don't, PLEASE point me in the right direction! Within our troop and council, there are so many "rules" they follow that I've discovered aren't based on anything in the BSA regs -- for example, they tell the boys they can't wear a merit badge sash until they've earned at least 3 merit badges -- say what? So I do try to keep up with what's current and correct)

I just recently stepped down as Advancement Chair, and I enjoyed that interaction with the scouts, but I won't miss being "in charge" of seeing that the BOR's get scheduled and done, LOL! In our troop (dysfunctional?), trying to arrange SMC's and BOR's was like herding cats (meaning the adults, not the scouts)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Unit leaders include ASM's or that was what I had read. I will need to check as I don't want to give you wrong information. Don't get me going about our council right now. They need to review the Scout Law and Oath and take a good hard look at themselves. I will leave it at that but am seriously thinking of leaving scouting after 22 years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Go for it Maggie you do great good with the Boy scouts its a great organization I rose to the heady position of patrol leader before I was shipped off to boarding school and then joined the military .(y)

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@snoozer I'll look deeper, as well, as it seems so much is open to interpretation. Well, not really, if you read carelfully -- but what I meant to say is that so many people have their own interpretations.... I'm sorry to hear about your council! We recently added a scout family join our troop that had been with another troop. This other troop has a reputation for loosing members.....that has been going on for a while. In the case of our newest family, the oldest scout is very close to aging out for Eagle. He had accomplished many of his Eagle-required MB's, but the SM never turned in the paperwork. To paraphrase what others have said of this SM, "he keeps all the information in his head, so there's no need to turn anything in...." It took a while, but we were finally able to get this scout's accomplishments officially recorded! Now, ask me how THIS SM is still in this position of responsibility within the council, when everyone, even the higher-ups are aware of what's going on? Of course, I'm only hearing the stories 2nd or 3rd hand, but still...... Geesh!

I went ahead and signed up for the INTRO TO OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP SKILLS session that's coming up next week, so will hopefully get a chance to see & ask some questions.

Ask a Question