Leak around skimmer faceplate

Reaction score
We have finally identified our leak regarding our skimmer. There is a gap between the liner and and the faceplate. My husband was dinking around the other day and pulled some roots that were underneath the weir. Since then, the skimmer box water level will drop down to a certain point just below the opening from pond to skimmer box. Are you still with me. The two bottom bolts/screws are corroded. Has anyone ever used Gold Label Pond Sealer sold by The Pond Guy??? Wondering if we need to drain pond just below the bottom of the faceplate to repair or replace the faceplate. We don’t want to stress out our old fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes drain the water to below the skimmer opening. replace your rotted screws with stainless steal use silicone or similar to apply between the skimmer and the liner and face plate reinstall the face plate

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This, sadly, is an all too common problem caused by manufacturers supplying screws that rot out. Inexcusable really. But there are some good YouTube videos out there that demonstrate this fix - it's not terribly hard to do. Or at least it looks easy!

Reaction score
Yes, thank you for your reply. We did exactly that, we replaced all 12 screws and re-siliconed the entire faceplate. I guess this is a common problem. Everything works perfectly now and haven’t had to fill the pond for 2 days now.

Ask a Question